Miniature horse lame on both fronts

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm hoping you shared the x-rays with him, thinking you did. Of course he knows she's been foundered, just from her hoof but, he'll appreciate seeing the degree and can work toward keeping her in good trim.
The farrier is a she, actually. But yes I did. I think she did a really good job.
I hope she's doing better. What does vet have you using for pain?
She definitely seems to be feeling better. I had to make her a smaller pen today so she didn’t walk around so much. I’m giving her Bute. The vet said I can give it every other day now, but I have been only giving it on the days when she is more sore, because it seems she has good days and bad days.

Thanks for all the info 😊

Vienna_201

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I’m a little concerned about how her hoof looks but I don’t really know what I’m looking at
View attachment 95758View attachment 95759 Does this look ok?

From what I can see it looks like an OK functional trim.

The hole you're seeing at the toe is most likely "seedy toe"; a combination of fungi and anaerobic bacteria that invades and destroys the white line (the area between the wall and sole of the horses foot). Some horses are more prone to developing seedy toe than others. If a horses feet are often out of balance (long periods between trims), the foot is compromised (such as by founder-- which causes a stretched "laminar wedge" in the toe), and/or the horse lives in unsanitary and/or wet conditions-- they're much more likely to develop fungal/bacterial problems.

If you have any questions regarding feet and/or hoof care, I'd strongly advise asking your farrier. She'll have a much better idea of what your horse needs (not to mention a formal education and hands-on experience).

If you're concerned, it won't hurt to treat the area by picking out debris and pouring a strong antibacterial/antifungal (such as Thrushbuster or Durasole) in there every other day. Be careful not to get any of these chemicals on your skin or onto the coronary band of the horses foot.

Well, no expert 🤣 but, I've sure owned a lot of them.

Some hoof wall strangeness but, expected with founder. He's got the sole evenly flat, frog touching ground, barefoot cut, should help hold the coffin bone stable as much as possible with the situation. Normally you see some concave to sole for flexing as they move. She can't handle heavy flexing, it's painful. Looks like there's some ease on toe, better when she walks to give less pull and resistance in break over. A foundered horse often grows more heel, throws foot angle off but that's trimmed up well in that pic. Of course, just looking at bottom but appears he's doing a good job for her. I'm hoping you shared the x-rays with him, thinking you did. Of course he knows she's been foundered, just from her hoof but, he'll appreciate seeing the degree and can work toward keeping her in good trim.

Being a mini there's less weigh, less pounding, no riding. That helps as a full sized animal puts a real pounding with every step. You'll never "cure" the condition, just good management. Same pointed out by another, who sounds like a farrier or at least one involved with. Pasture limits for grazing and even time of day, year, weather -- will be something you'll want to consider for her.

I hope she's doing better. What does vet have you using for pain?

Yes, I am a AFA and APF certified professional farrier. 👍