Miniature horse with chipped hoof

nicki22

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hey just looking for a little advice from some other experienced horse folks I have a mini that took off a pretty good chunk of hoof towards the back inside edge. When it came off it actually chipped up pretty high and pretty deep no gushing blood or anything just more hoof than should have come off. He is very lame at the moment as a bonus we have single degree temperatures making the ground about as hard as it could be he is inside on shavings at the moment which helps but still sore. I wrapped it and put some neumotizine on it which does seem to help. I did also do hoof testers to confirm this was the source of the problem as this guy has foundered in the past but no pain anywhere else on the foot just this side. Any other recommendations of what to do for a chipped hoof to help with soreness obviously it is going to take a while to grow out.

Thanks in advance Nicki

MDres

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Do you not have a regular farrier?

I would call a farrier first (a vet 2nd if farrier isn't available). Being able to see the hoof in person is going to yield much better advice than what you can be given on an internet forum.

There are "hoof casts" and "hoof fillers" that can be used to seal up the missing chunk until it grows back. Hooves can sustain pretty horrendous injuries and damage and still re-grow. Call the farrier...

nicki22

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi no we don't have a farrier I have been doing my own since our last farrier retired a few years ago I have used fillers many many years ago but only with shoes with clips that help hold them in place. We have a warm up coming and hopefully the softer ground will help him out and give it some time to heal. Our soil is all clay so when it freezes it is like walking on rocks we keep making soft spots with shavings but of course that is not where they end up standing.