Miniature horses

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
How much space do mini’s realistically need. I’ve heard some are able to keep them in small yards and they are a lot less needy with space than normal sized horses. If they were on smaller lots would they need to have more access to hay and forage?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, less acreage. Supplementing depends on forage growing both quantity and quality. Also depends on their daily routine....yard ornament, exercise, a mare nursing, etc. Minis come in various sizes. 😊

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
And also.... where in the world do you live.

Some areas can have a full sized horse on a single acre. Some areas need 40 acres for a single full sized horse.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
And also.... where in the world do you live.

Some areas can have a full sized horse on a single acre. Some areas need 40 acres for a single full sized horse.
I’m in Decatur ga

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Georgia has good rainfall... but maybe iffy on the soil. Also, lots of rainfall can wash nutrition out of grass.

But.... sheesh... having the hardest time finding general number of acres per animal unit for your area...

But I found one Georgia extension article that said you often need 2 acres per horse.

So... yeah, you wouldn't need much space.

Blackgold05

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Georgia has good rainfall... but maybe iffy on the soil. Also, lots of rainfall can wash nutrition out of grass.

But.... sheesh... having the hardest time finding general number of acres per animal unit for your area...

But I found one Georgia extension article that said you often need 2 acres per horse.

So... yeah, you wouldn't need much space.
Would it be even less for a smaller horse rather than a full sized one

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
But, a single horse is rarely a good choice... though you can at times make a single horse work if you have some other species as its animal buddy.