Minimum # of feet goat pasture should be from big pond

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We just got most of our woods cleared and want to keep our goats and maybe our horse on some of it. However, there is a big pond by it and I was wondering how far the fence should be away from it as a minimum?

Thanks!

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The local extension office is a great resource for those questions. Also, the conservation department can do a wildlife survey of your land and give you a plan (all voluntary) for erosion control, fire breaks, and other improvements. There is grant money available for even small farmers for cross-fencing, pasture improvement, and remote automatic watering systems. I know from first hand experience. There are quite a few hoops to jump through but it is worth it in the end. A 90% grant will pay half the cost of hiring it done or all the materials cost if the project is done in-house.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have had the extension office and others out for a plan. We're doing it for an ag exemption. I was just wondering about the pond.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
The local extension office is a great resource for those questions. Also, the conservation department can do a wildlife survey of your land and give you a plan (all voluntary) for erosion control, fire breaks, and other improvements. There is grant money available for even small farmers for cross-fencing, pasture improvement, and remote automatic watering systems. I know from first hand experience. There are quite a few hoops to jump through but it is worth it in the end. A 90% grant will pay half the cost of hiring it done or all the materials cost if the project is done in-house.

I am hesitant of these things. Next thing you know your area will be declared a wetlands and you have no rights. This happens more than people think.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Are you asking for the sake of the goats or the pond? Are you looking for a legal logistical answer? For the goats sake as long as they can't get to it, it shouldn't matter. As for the other I have no idea.

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. Are you asking for the sake of the goats or the pond? Are you looking for a legal logistical answer? For the goats sake as long as they can't get to it, it shouldn't matter. As for the other I have no idea.
Sake of the goats.;)

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep. In VT you can't touch a wetland. VERY picky about that.

Oh, unless you are a big developer (yes your mind should go to MORE TAX INCOME!) then you can stomp all over a wetland if you build another somewhere else. Except I don't think man can build a wetland as well as Mother Nature can.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
The USDA won't let you modify or use wetlands or stream beds if you are getting any funds from them. They call the stream bed on the land I am trying to buy "highly erodible land" and I can't have livestock or crops near it, nor can I fence it. Fortunately for me it is on the other side of the road and I had no intention of using it to begin with. If it was in the middle of the property it would be a deal breaker unless I wanted to give the goats an ove-crossing. :lol:

As far as the distance from the pond I would take into account the high water mark and fence a few feet about that.