Miscarriage? Placenta-looking thing coming out of pregnant cow

hysop

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We bought this cow two years ago as a bred cow, but she never gave birth even though she got big and developed a bag.

Now she was pregnant again and even started filling up her bag and got pretty big.

Now she has this coming out of her. I’m beginning to think she had a miscarriage last time too.

She will be turned to ground beef this coming winter if this one was also a miscarriage.

Do I have to remove it? I noticed this yesterday and it was brighter burgundy/red. Now it's a bit more brown but hasn't dropped it.

Attachments

• 2A73E4E2-CC38-4DC4-BB07-436D60D11CBE.jpeg
    2A73E4E2-CC38-4DC4-BB07-436D60D11CBE.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 100

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That looks like a placenta. Make sure she did not calve somewhere and maybe she has it hidden? Maybe she had a dead calf? When was she due to calve? Lepto can cause abortions, although they usually happen in the 3-6 month stage. There are other things that cause abortions. I would definitely say she has calved or aborted. If she does not raise you a live calf then maybe she has a problem... anaplasmosis comes to mind... but yes, she should be hamburger if she is not producing a calf for you yearly.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She should pass it on her own... if an abortion, then it will often take up to a week... but if you have a vet, see about getting a shot of Lutalyse which will help her to pass it quicker. Do not pull it out as some may break off inside and it can cause an infection. The cotyledons have not all fully released from the uterus... that is why she has not passed it.... usually the process of birth and the change of hormones causes it to fully release and pass.

hysop

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you!

I’ll let her pass on it on her own. She is thinning back down and her bag is starting to get saggy.

I did search the field the day we noticed that coming out and did not find anything. I do not know her "due date" since I never saw her be mounted. My bull is a nighttime romancer 😂 because I had another cow give birth to his son but I never once saw him mount her.

Yeah, so I am gonna just have to turn her into hamburger 😔 thankfully she's not a favorite and not really friendly so I am not too upset. Just upset of the two years wasted, but I live and learn!!

I’ll update on when she finally dropped it or if I had to call a vet if it takes longer than a week. Thank you again!!

hysop

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I don’t know when her body finally extracted that stuff but this morning she no longer had it.

So you were right @farmerjan it did take up to a week!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now it is time to evaluate her condition, and her weight, and send her to market. Cull cows are up here, the real nice ones in the 1.00 /lb range... the average ones in the 50-80 cents... when they were bringing 30-50 and real good ones were 60-75.....

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she has the summer to graze and put condition back on, she ought to make good meat... get the good steaks..... filets and NY strips... and make hamburger and stew meat out of the rest.... Also the ribs ought to be good if she has some meat on her sides... and any bones that you can use for soup....

hysop

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If she has the summer to graze and put condition back on, she ought to make good meat... get the good steaks..... filets and NY strips... and make hamburger and stew meat out of the rest.... Also the ribs ought to be good if she has some meat on her sides... and any bones that you can use for soup....
Yes, we are going to wait til winter. So she will have all summer to put back on any weight she may have lost. I am looking forward to the flank steaks 😋 🤤