Misfitmorgan's - Babies 2020

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now now Bay, though shalt not covet thy friend's trees!
Well it ain't like I could go dig them up and take 'em home! Covet means to want so bad that you'll do anything to get it. I'll just have to plant my own already well established apple orchard.......:plbb

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dunno about coveting but you could take a few tons of apples though :gig

19 apples trees, i dunno what we will do if they all produce this year.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I dunno about coveting but you could take a few tons of apples though :gig

19 apples trees, i dunno what we will do if they all produce this year.

SEND THEM TO MEEEEEE!!!!!! Wow! what a wealth! I can't even imagine. Oh well, I guess the pigs will eat good. Give doubles to the Herefords. :clap

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
When we got on the place the macintosh tree was so loaded we thought the branches might snap...same with the honey crisp. The Granny smith had a few pitiful apples on it. Sadly the transparent apples had already fallen and rotted by the time we took over the place but it was loaded up too.

The trees all need a trim and most of them need some neem oil. Most all the trees also need to be topped the younger ones might be small enough to just weight down. Younger trees had apples but not many and all were small apples almost crab apple size though they are not crab apple trees.

We got a heavy ice storms a couple weeks ago with heavy wind and it did snap a large limb on one of the younger trees so that will require clean up and sealing. It snapped the branch about half way down so not a complete loss and no trunk damage.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Get yourself (or make) a cider mill and I'm sure you'll have no problem selling fresh made cider. You could always advertise "pick your own" and let folks pay by the bag full or bushel to pick what they want. And of course treats for the animals goes without saying. Mac's are great cooking apples. I remember them from my youth in New England.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get yourself (or make) a cider mill and I'm sure you'll have no problem selling fresh made cider. You could always advertise "pick your own" and let folks pay by the bag full or bushel to pick what they want. And of course treats for the animals goes without saying. Mac's are great cooking apples. I remember them from my youth in New England.

We did have an apple scratter but i dunno if it made it thru the move, it has seen better days. I do know DH needs to re-build the stand for the press...but it is in the plans to make cider for sure.....regular and hard :hide

We did discuss doing pick your own apples, we will either do that or just pick them and offer them at our farm stand.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think one concern with PYO is cost of the insurance you need to have in case someone falls out of a tree (that they shouldn't have been climbing).

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our home owners insurance would cover that as far as i know.

There are no pick your own apple places that i know of. There used to be a pick your own apple farm when i was a kid but they long ago went to a gift shop and apples and cider for sale and pony rides, etc....basically someplace for kids field trips. A lot of people like going there but it is not just a pick your own and actually your not allowed to pick your own anymore, they dont want the trees damaged.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to a PYO in 45+ years. My family used to go when I was a kid. Like you, they had a large variety of trees and what was available depended on when you went in the season. I have always had bad teeth, as in many missing, so eating apples was never easy for me. Corn on the cob used to be bad as well. Anyway, I bought some from the store a month or so ago... Gala I believe as I wanted a "sweeter" apple. Started eating one and threw them away. They were horrible. :idunno