Misfitmorgan's - Babies 2020

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stabbed by a goat.….that really stinks. If we made a post on how our sheep died, and listed all the fatalities, I think yours would be at the top of the Weird Death list. Stupid-A$$ goat!

I hope you can get the ewe interested in her babies. Just how do you go about that? Show pictures of happy sheep families? I got it! I got it! Pictures of happy sheep families at a water park! Yeah, that ought to do it! Maybe I'll try that.... it would beat me launching myself at a cornered ewe, getting a horse lead rope around her neck as she drags, steps on me, and tying her up to a post so I can teach her num-nuts lamb to suck. Meanwhile, the lamb clamps it's little mouth shut, a butter knife couldn't slide between it's cute little lips, much less a fat teat. :barnie

The things our animals do to us.....and we go back for more.:yesss:
It's one of the craziest things I've ever seen.

We basically just kushed the mom let the babies nurse then seperated them until the babies had a bowel movement. Stuck the babies and mom in a pen. She talked to them, smelled them then let them nurse and accepted them. Not sure what the original hang up was.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
0308191638a.jpg
0308191638a.jpg
girl is on the left boy it's on the right

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So much for the right direction :hit

We lost both of the twin lambs. Because of how fast things are thawing the barn flooded. Both lambs got soaked and got hypothermia. We tried to save them but we were just to late. They had a heat lamp but it wasnt enough.

From the repeated freeze and thaw cycle we have been having there is a foot high ice dam around the entire barn about a foot from the building from ice and snow falling off the roof. It is as solid as concrete, the ground is also frozen solid so nothing is draining. It has been almost 40F here for the past 3 days so everything is melting fast which caused about 4inches of standing water around the entire barn and about an inch inside on top of the cement floor and the big pen which is dirt was a huge mud puddle.

We cut water ways thru the ice wall so the barn could drain. Put down new bedding(hay) for all the pens and made sure all the lambs and charlotte were ok. We also put a few pallets in so there was a place that was dry to get up off the floor.

At the end of the day we still lost two more lambs for our own stupidity and let down our livestock again :he

I never thought farming would be easy but this season is really hard to handle. There are other things going on that I have not even shared with you guys that makes all of this so much worse. I may take a break from updating on this thread, i am so very sick of posting one death/loss after the other.

The only good news is that our Foster kid is going to use the orphan bottle lamb as her 4h lamb. This will be here first time doing 4h and she is excited. She will not be able to do the market sale but all in all it should be a good thing for her and our farm. So that situation worked out about as well as it could have.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hit

At least there is happiness with regard to the foster kid.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your lambs. Ice dam....I have no experience with anything even remotely resembling that. How do you even prepare for something like that? Don't beat up on yourself, this weather has been horrible. Y'all really didn't have much time to weatherize everything before Ol' Man Winter showed up. Big hugs.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok so...we had another mutt have twin lambs ram lambs. One white one black, the white was still born it seems, still half in the sack and soaked when i found him. The mutt was to preoccupied with the dead white lamb to want anything to do with the black one. She seemed convinced that the white one was hers and the black one was another sheeps baby. She would talk to the black one and the black lamb would talk back but she would not let it nurse.

So i took the black lamb and make him a bottle baby. I mean if you are bottling one why not 2. The black lamb was born March 11th.

In other news the kids 4-h lamb is now 28 days old and doing great. The kid decided not to do 4-h after all because she is already doing choir and softball(which has practice until 5 or 7pm mon thru fri. We didnt want her to have to much on her plate. Also...the lamb for 4h that she named Duke...its a girl:th

DH checked sex and seems made a mistake so one more girl lamb she is doing great and huge she weighs over 30lbs I would guess.

Everyone else seems to be doing well.

Latest posts