Misfitmorgan's - Babies 2020

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the baby......
Separating is the obvious solution to unwanted pregnancies.My rams are in with the ewes for 6 weeks only, or so I would like to think. Every year I have somebody who gives birth who , to the best of my knowledge , has not been within 2 fields of a ram. Last year I had 2 give birth. One of these girls was quite a small lamb herself and had never had a ram with her (????). The other had been with the ram, but scanned 'empty'. She gave birth to twins a good 6 weeks later than any of the other ewes....can't explain that one, either.
Sometimes we lose babies which seem perfectly healthy, due to no fault of our own. A sad but recurrent fact of breeding livestock. All we can do is eliminate those factors which we have control over, and accept that not everything is open to modification.
Hopefully things turn out better from now on in.

Until the past month or two we thought we had all seasonal breeders so never worried about separating....guess not. Just need to get thru winter then we can figure out the plan to keep boys away from girls without just putting the boys in stalls or tiny buck/ram pens. Atm we only have the little buck left and he is suppose to be given to our friend but the 2 rams need to be kept away for sure.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My ewes that lambed last month are cycling now, Ringo is intensely interested. Just goes to show ya how darn fast these girls get back in the swing of things. No! No! Girls! Not happening!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Phoebe's girl is still doing well. She appears a bit thinner then I would like but she had just woken up from a nap.
1124191344a_HDR.jpg

She loves he heat lamp!

Oddly Espresso somehow got out of the pasture fence, got into the barn and jumped the 4ft wall to be in Phoebe's pen. Phoebe seemed fine with it so we left her in there.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
She's cute. Don't blame her on the neat lamp, if I lived there I'd have to carry a battery operated heat lamp with me everywhere I went!

I wish I could carry a heat lamp everywhere i went :lol:

I really don't know where her pattern/coloring came from. Phoebe is a solid and Big Boy was mostly solid, maybe he was really a paint like this kid.

DH has said if all goes as planned (hahahahahahaha...right) That as soon as we get pasture up i can get my dream buck, type of, not specifically picked yet. So I will hopefully be adding a registered tiger dappled buck to the goats at some point.....

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you I do love the colors.

Latte is making a bag so she will need to be moved to the barn as well. Wow we are going to have one very full barn this winter it seems. The current goat kids will be in the barn until at least mid-march, moms will go out at weaning. Lets hope the sheep dont have any surprises for us because it is 11F out this am and if anything is born outside they will not make it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
11F? We hit single digits last winter, but only for a night, not weeks or months like you have. In a week or so, it was above freezing and sunny. Our winters are short. LOL I can deal with a few days of below freezing, but I sure wouldn't want to deal with it all winter.