Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure hate to hear about the losses and set-backs....:hugs
But, it is sure good to hear from ya!!....that's a shame about Rosie we lost Cheetos in similar fashion....we think he got bit by a copperhead....:(......Big Boy is a really nice looking buck.....hope ya can get another guardian before too long, it sure sounds like ya are needing one.....:)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sure hate to hear about the losses and set-backs....:hugs
But, it is sure good to hear from ya!!....that's a shame about Rosie we lost Cheetos in similar fashion....we think he got bit by a copperhead....:(......Big Boy is a really nice looking buck.....hope ya can get another guardian before too long, it sure sounds like ya are needing one.....:)

Sorry to hear about Cheeto.

The not knowing is a really sucky part. We killed a rattler about 3 weeks before this happened on our place by our compost so i know they are here.

Big Boy is a gorgeous buck and only 1.5yrs old so more growing still. He has no horns which i love, leads like a dream and has manners. He is 98% Boer and 2% Kiko....roughly, Great Grandpa was kiko. I'm hoping he is going to make us some really sturdy kids. Only Phoebe and Ivy will be bred this fall, Fate is on the small side still for breeding.

I don't think we will get another LGD unless maybe a rescue, we could never afford $1200-1400 for a puppy. Atm a $100 puppy would be stretching it.

I can only echo the others. Was hoping things would go swimmingly once you got to the new place and out from under the old landlords. :( Can't say anything helpful about the dog losses :hit Hopefully things will start looking up financially so you can get the fence in to keep the predators out. :hugs

Hopefully. The farmstand has been in operation for about a 3 weeks and we have made about $140, thats all fencing money. We also have some piglets to sell to that will also go to fencing and a a ram lamb to sell...again fencing.

DH has picked up some side work to fix a tractor and a guys truck so that will pay a few hundred and again fencing. Just need time but winter is a comming you know lol.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
As you catch up you’ll realize that summer was hard on lots of us. There have been deaths and injuries. I won’t even try to list them as there are too many to try.

I’m glad to know that you are okay, even if things are rough. Try to keep your head above water. I took a break but I’m back. My support system here has helped me through so much!

I do know of a breeder in Columbus, IN that sells Pyr pups for $350. There’s also an Anatolian breeder that sells them for $300. Our area is saturated with breeders. If you are coming down this way, let me know and we will see if we can come up with something for you.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
As you catch up you’ll realize that summer was hard on lots of us. There have been deaths and injuries. I won’t even try to list them as there are too many to try.

I’m glad to know that you are okay, even if things are rough. Try to keep your head above water. I took a break but I’m back. My support system here has helped me through so much!

I do know of a breeder in Columbus, IN that sells Pyr pups for $350. There’s also an Anatolian breeder that sells them for $300. Our area is saturated with breeders. If you are coming down this way, let me know and we will see if we can come up with something for you.

I have noticed i missed a lot. I'm glad you're back as well. $300-350 is way better, and I will definitely take that offer when things are less...well just less here. Catching up on journals for now.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I am at heart a giver... altruistic... So many folks I have read on here that I wish I could help. Really good folks who are just short of being able to do what they need to do to get out of their tunnel. We all have tunnels we're trying to get out of. Babsbag out in CA is about to deliver a litter of LGDs and if I could afford it, I'd happily try to purchase one from her (if she'd allow of course) to be delivered to you. Or, Goatgurl up in AR also recently had a litter of beautiful Marema based LGD pups... Another alternative if she hasn't already sold them all (and would allow it). I really wish I could help... As it stands, the best I can do is what others have offered... a digital shoulder to spill font on when needed. We are here to offer support and condolences to any/all who need them. :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
As much as I am glad to see you here again, I am so sorry for all the tribulations that you have been going through. It seems like the hits keep coming. I really hope that things smooth out for you. Fencing is expensive and not only does it take time to gather the money necessary, it then takes time to put it up and build the fence. We have been here for 3 years and are still building the infrastructure that we want and need.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am at heart a giver... altruistic... So many folks I have read on here that I wish I could help. Really good folks who are just short of being able to do what they need to do to get out of their tunnel. We all have tunnels we're trying to get out of. Babsbag out in CA is about to deliver a litter of LGDs and if I could afford it, I'd happily try to purchase one from her (if she'd allow of course) to be delivered to you. Or, Goatgurl up in AR also recently had a litter of beautiful Marema based LGD pups... Another alternative if she hasn't already sold them all (and would allow it). I really wish I could help... As it stands, the best I can do is what others have offered... a digital shoulder to spill font on when needed. We are here to offer support and condolences to any/all who need them. :hugs

Really just having friends here I can share my troubles, frustrations, joys, and achievements with is really plenty. You guys all do a great job of making it seem like everything will be ok, you often highlight the positive even when bad things happen. It really does help and I thank all of you guys for still being here for me.....even after my time off:hide

As far as the LGD goes it really is best for us and the future guardian if we wait until we have our fencing up. Rosie did go to the neighbors(huge field no houses) and across the road(few miles of woods) but she was road smart. Any future LGD may not be and I would feel horrible if they got hit by a car, so waiting is the best.

As much as I am glad to see you here again, I am so sorry for all the tribulations that you have been going through. It seems like the hits keep coming. I really hope that things smooth out for you. Fencing is expensive and not only does it take time to gather the money necessary, it then takes time to put it up and build the fence. We have been here for 3 years and are still building the infrastructure that we want and need.

The last few years just seem like one thing after another. At least this year does have good mixed in.
Doe Kid - Fate, she will breed in fall 2019
Ewe Lamb - Oreo, she will be bred early winter
New Buck - Big Boy, he will make our kids more resilient and parasite resistant
Excellent Garden - allowed us to have a farm stand which continues to make us money for fencing
Apple Trees are producing so well this year that the past few storms have snapped off branches - need to prune better next year. We have plenty for applesauce, apple butter, apple cider, apple pie filling, to sell, and for livestock.
And the big one
We now have a human kid for the time being, which we absolutely love.:love

Fencing is costly and a pain to put up but once it is up if done right we shouldn't have to replace it....ever lol. So far our fencing goals look to be a 5yr plan :lol::th