Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have made a deal to buy two 75% boer/25% nubian doe kids. These kids are actually our friends goats babies and is Phoebe's full siblings. Phoebe is very parasite resistant and always gives us twins, she is a excellent momma too.

We currently have only Phoebe, Ivy, Big Boy, and Fate...so the new kids will be nice and give us 33% more goats lol. Luckily we are getting them extremely cheap and might actually swap hay for them.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The big gear up for fall is here...aka get your s**t done before the snow hits.

We finally got a gate build for the big girls pen....they seem to like it because its slatted so they can look thru it, old was solid plywood sheet.

We built a small duck house for the momma duck and her ducklings(3 now) with a covered run. The duck house is built kinda like @CntryBoy777 's the duck house will be on the bottom and chicken coop on the top. The duck run goes to the south and the chicken run will go east then south.

DH sold all of our old round bales from last year's hay so we have some fence money for pasture 1. Shall see how far we can stretch it.If memory serves (big if) Pasture 1 requires 3 rolls of fence and a bazillion t-posts and half a bazillion wood pots....plus electric wire, insulators.....etc :th

I also need to can tomatoes, make sauerkraut, pickled beets, jalapeno jelly and apple pie filling. Then DH wants to make apple cider.

Need to build another pen in the shop so we can pull off oreo, fate, and the ram lamb as breeding season is here.

Need to figure out a way to separate the sheep and goats until the boys do their jobs. I mean I dont think the rams would beat up big boy or vice versa but i don't really want to find out.

Back burner items are......scrap metal pile needs to go, we need to finish cleaning out the 2 story, and hoses need fixed, yard/farm needs picked up, burn pile needs burned, pool needs winterized and pool stuff put away. :hide

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
It certainly sounds like a really busy time there, especially with cold not too far ahead....I think you will like the ease of the duck pen and something that will further help ya is to remove any pellets from them at night....this will allow ya to not have to deal with frozen water in the mornings, just pour fresh water for them each morning when ya give them the pellets. I'm anxious to see them and also the off-spring of Big Boy....he is really nice looking!!......:)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It certainly sounds like a really busy time there, especially with cold not too far ahead....I think you will like the ease of the duck pen and something that will further help ya is to remove any pellets from them at night....this will allow ya to not have to deal with frozen water in the mornings, just pour fresh water for them each morning when ya give them the pellets. I'm anxious to see them and also the off-spring of Big Boy....he is really nice looking!!......:)

I already like the idea and I havnt even put the coop part on top! Even if i pour water in during the morning it will be frozen within an hour or two in winter. We use bowls in winter so we can knock the ice out to re-fill them. We looked at heated bowls...so not cheap lol.

Big Boy makes beautiful babies I saw his 12 kids he made last fall as a 1yr old. Healthy, stocky and energetic kids. I'm very excited to see what him and Phoebe make! They are both full color boer and there is a possibility big boy has some spot genes. If not our next buck will be Nubian....spotted or dappled so i can get my spots :lol:

We are trading the gilts we held back for breeding to our friend, he is going to give us back one piglet from each of their first litters. The benefit is his boar is outside blood....when he gets a boar lol. That will give us room to move spot pig's piglets out of her pen when they need to be weaned. Then Spot can go back in with the big girls and Sarah can go in the "farrow" pen as she is bred again.

We saw Big Boy on Ivy so atm it looks like possible kids Mid-febuary from Ivy.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
reading all that you have done and still have to do makes me tired. i'm so tickled that things are working out so well on your place. and we're still waiting on baby pictures ya know.

It makes me tired too....before i even do it :lol:

I know you all want pictures between work, rain and surprises I havnt had time but I will get them.

Latest posts