Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our 4 horse stock trailer is indispensable. We use it all the time to pick up animals we buy and to take to slaughter and the vet. Buying a trailer would be a wonderful addition to your farm. It would be well worth it.

Glad you got the cold and snow that you needed. Personally, I'd rather have the worms. :lol:

Pot belly pigs make meat too. Just not as much. Good work on getting them done.

We live about 30 miles from Canton, Tx, the largest flea market in the US. If is over 400 acres. I usually go when my sister and her friend come up, just so I can get time with my big sis and hang out with her. We rent electric scooters and ride. LOL There is an animal section too, but most of it is flea market stuff.

https://firstmondaycanton.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_LZ8Y7S3wIVySCtBh2zhAFMEAAYASAAEgJALPD_BwE

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sounds like purchasing a used/serviceable trailer would be a huge benefit as you'd be able to get much better profits by trucking your sale animals down to the Eastern Market. A couple trips ought to pay for the trailer plus expenses with some to spare. Actually, down here, you can rent livestock trailers for ~ $50-75/day. Not sure of cost for a week. Even doing that might pay off big for you. Do you have a friend or family member with a trailer they could loan you?

We have been looking, for now we want a smaller trailer and have found a few for under a grand that are in good shape. Mostly 2 horse bumper pulls. Waiting for tax time to come around and hoping we are getting a refund this year. No family or friends with trailers we could really use atm. Our friend loaned us one to get big boy and the 2hr trip ended up costing us $200 in gas, because we used our other friends truck because we dont have a 5th wheel plate on our truck.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our 4 horse stock trailer is indispensable. We use it all the time to pick up animals we buy and to take to slaughter and the vet. Buying a trailer would be a wonderful addition to your farm. It would be well worth it.

Glad you got the cold and snow that you needed. Personally, I'd rather have the worms. :lol:

Pot belly pigs make meat too. Just not as much. Good work on getting them done.

We live about 30 miles from Canton, Tx, the largest flea market in the US. If is over 400 acres. I usually go when my sister and her friend come up, just so I can get time with my big sis and hang out with her. We rent electric scooters and ride. LOL There is an animal section too, but most of it is flea market stuff.

https://firstmondaycanton.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_LZ8Y7S3wIVySCtBh2zhAFMEAAYASAAEgJALPD_BwE

We have been looking for a trailer for awhile now but we never seem to have the money when we find a good deal on a trailer that will work for us lol.

If wormer was cheaper i would take the worms too, i hate snow and cold.

Our friend is making room to take 4 of sarah's gilt piglets, 1 of spots gilt piglets and 1 of spots boar piglets....and possibly our runt pig. Then Spadeux who is Spot's daughter will be coming over to get bred by our hereford. Then in spring will go over to his house and build two more pens, one for spot, and one for spadeux. Then he will get a boar in spring some time and after Sarah's gilts are bred and farrow we get pick of each of their first litters.

Meanwhile that leaves an extra 2 pens open at our house until spring which we can definitely use and frees up a third pen in spring.

Everyone follow that?? o_O Anyhow that's why it was time to butcher the potbellies......and also why we will definitely need a trailer soon.

That flea market looks like an awesome place to go...I would love it!! :love:love

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first 2 pics are last weekend and the last pic is Saturday.

The little black and white goat outside on this side of the shed is espresso one of our new boer/nubian girls.
0105191134.jpg
0105191134a.jpg
0112191130.jpg

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of our hereford girls gotten beaten up bad by Spot and had a hematoma on her rear left leg as well as losing weight and hair from stress and being ran off the feed. We moved Spot to her own stall and moved the hereford to the main floor so she just had goats and Mrs. pig to compete with for food.

We also lanced the hematoma because it was huge and needed it. Two days later she refused food and water, that happens sometimes so we let it go.

The next day she refused food and water and to get up....that was the no something is wrong here. So DH whacked her up with Pen G and Iron. He got her to drink some water but that was it.

The next day she was down in the corner, hypothermic. DH and I built her a quick stall and put thick hay down, then put a heat lamp on her. I insisted we force fed her water but that didnt work she would not even try to swallow it. So i went to the house with protest from DH and got honey, mixed honey with water and drenched it into her mouth, that worked she swallowed it. DH gave her more Pen G, Iron, and Vitamin B. We left her in the stall with warm water, liquid mash and dry feed. DH Told me not to have much hope he was pretty sure she was not going to make it. I told him I had hope she would and would do anything I thought would help. I dont know what it was but when DH checked on her later that night she had drank some water and eaten some food and was shaking...which is better then hypothermia.

DH kept giving her everything(pen G, iron, Vit B)...the next day she drank a lot of water and ate a lot of feed.

She is not totally recovered and has good and bad days but she is hopefully on the mend. She is still in her make shift stall with her heat lamp. Today i have to get her some yogurt to help her gut flora as the Pen G has likely killed it which will put her off feed. The best we can figure is after we lanced her hematoma she got an infection thru the open wound.

Nothing else to report.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your snow pictures are lovely, homey looking and should be on a Christmas card. It also makes me glad that we don't get snow every year, and when we do, it only lasts 3-4 days. LOL

I am sorry about your Hereford girl. You did good in giving her honey, the sugars are easily broken down and used by the body. In cases of dehydration, I use a sugar/salt solution. It is a home made electrolyte solution. The ratio is 5 tablespoons of sugar to 1 tablespoon of salt in a half gallon of water. It can be adjusted to lesser amounts but keep the 5 to 1 ratio. I hope she continues to improve. You know how much I love those Herefords. :love

Y'all come on down for First Monday! We'll put y'all up and make a weekend of it!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your snow pictures are lovely, homey looking and should be on a Christmas card. It also makes me glad that we don't get snow every year, and when we do, it only lasts 3-4 days. LOL

I am sorry about your Hereford girl. You did good in giving her honey, the sugars are easily broken down and used by the body. In cases of dehydration, I use a sugar/salt solution. It is a home made electrolyte solution. The ratio is 5 tablespoons of sugar to 1 tablespoon of salt in a half gallon of water. It can be adjusted to lesser amounts but keep the 5 to 1 ratio. I hope she continues to improve. You know how much I love those Herefords. :love

Y'all come on down for First Monday! We'll put y'all up and make a weekend of it!

I wish it only lasted 3-4 days, though in truth until new years day we had hardly gotten any snow and temps were in the 30-40s which is very warm for here. So really I shouldnt complain to much, we skipped out on half of winter.

That's what i was thinking, honey/sugar easy to digest and gives her something to try to get to some real food plus a little water went with it. A trick we use with kids/lambs who are down is honey, coffee and water..then as soon as they are responsive at all, a bottle of milk or formula. I have saved a few with that as well as hot water bottles or heat boxes. I'm hoping she makes a full recovery, she will be in her own pen/stall until she gains weight and is completely well then she will go back in with her sister. We did tell our friend, Spot definitely needs to go to his place soon.

Maybe we will someday, I know I would love the trip and the flea market! Thank you for the generosity Bay :hugs

Last edited:

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
So glad you were able to save your Hereford girl. That would have been a sad loss. Hope she makes a full recovery. Those are some nice pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like the animals have a designated route to/from the hay and aren't too interested in varying from it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So glad you were able to save your Hereford girl. That would have been a sad loss. Hope she makes a full recovery. Those are some nice pictures, thanks for sharing! Looks like the animals have a designated route to/from the hay and aren't too interested in varying from it.

It would have been a really bad loss. I love the herefords and on top of that she hasnt given us a litter yet. This is the same hereford we had problems with Spot beating on before. We had put her on the main floor for a month in the summer to put weight on and then in her own stall. We thought the problem was that Spot was so much bigger. When Spot had piglets we needed the hereford stall so spot went in there and hereford went in the big pen with the others. Things were fine then after piglets were weaned we put spot back in the big pen.

Seems size wasnt the problem, i think the biggest problem is this hereford girl is so docile and calm, gets along with everyone that she won't fight back. Also Spot is a *itch which we have told our friend since the day we saw her.

They definitely dont want to go in the deeper snow, i don't blame them. We do move the hay around though so they are forced to go in different areas. That's for health and clean up in the spring. We had a sort of hay feeder rigged up but they broke it, so we are ground feeding again...which i hate.

Sure glad you got the Hereford back up and that she fully recovers. Any idea why Spot would beat up on her?

Spot came out of the same barn as our original stock, to pick our original stock i went and sat in the center pen between two other pens with a Sow and babies in each. The piglets food was in the pen i was sitting in. I sat in there checking temperaments, conformation, touching them and picked out our 2 piglets. That was eva and our first boar. Later we ended up picking another gilt piglet(Jackie...from what was left, i never would have picked her otherwise) from the same litter for our friend and a barrow for my mother. So we had 4 piglets and then our friend went and looked in the pen and said i like that spot piglet i want that one. I told him he didnt he said yes he liked the spots :smack In case you dont know do not pick your pigs based on looked alone. Spot even as a piglet was wild, loud, mouthy, and bullied/chased the other piglets....not something you want in a breeder usually, least not for us. He also picked out Red because he liked her red color.....again are you kidding me. Red was just wild and mouthy, he ate her after her first litter because she became psychotic and kept trying to injury/kill/attack us.