Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spring will come, then you can get things better sorted out. It tales time, work and money, when you move to a new place. We closed on this place September of 2014, moved on February 14, 2015 (our 19th anniversary) and have worked on our place steadily ever since. While we have knocked out the bigger projects, there is still a lot to do.

Snow banks keep you from moving forward, rain keeps us inside. The snow will melt away, the mud will dry up and it will be beautiful for y'all to get outside and work on your place.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spring will come, then you can get things better sorted out. It tales time, work and money, when you move to a new place. We closed on this place September of 2014, moved on February 14, 2015 (our 19th anniversary) and have worked on our place steadily ever since. While we have knocked out the bigger projects, there is still a lot to do.

Snow banks keep you from moving forward, rain keeps us inside. The snow will melt away, the mud will dry up and it will be beautiful for y'all to get outside and work on your place.

Oh I know Bay, even when we are "done" with out projects there is always more and I think it will always be that way. I think we will always see whats lacking more then what we have, I think it's kinda human nature. A few years ago we really wanted a truck...we have one now but I don't think about it much. Now we really want a trailer....I assume when we get one it won't be much on our thoughts anymore.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sadly i have to inform you guys that we lost the hereford. She looked on the upswing and DH went out to check on her after work and she was gone.:hit:hit

In other news, her sister is pregnant and should farrow in the next 48hrs or so. Perfect timing for the freezing store coming in. We have a heat lamp and a piglets board up but I don't have high hopes for this litter. The temps may just be to cold. We are putting in a second light and may try to close off the heat lamp area some to retain more heat. Even with 2 lamps it is only going to warm about 30F above whatever temp it is in the barn. Foretasted temps this weekend are 10F and 8F...thats the high. Piglets should be around 90F. :(

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the Hereford, you did all you could.

I've never done anything with baby pigs so this could be just stupid but ... could you put down a few heating pads for them to sleep on along with the heat lamps overhead?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the Hereford, you did all you could.

I've never done anything with baby pigs so this could be just stupid but ... could you put down a few heating pads for them to sleep on along with the heat lamps overhead?

Thank you

It's not stupid they sell basically pig heating pads for farrow crates. The problem with normal heating pads is they are not ment to be by water/moisture and piglets chew on everything so the electric shock risk is pretty high. The commercial ones are a plastic, thick rubber or carbon fiber pad vs the people ones that just have that thin rubber cover.

https://goo.gl/images/xVGrMx

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nope, once you have it you check it off the "to do" list and just use it.
And one of the things I take more and more notice of, are the number of projects, jobs, and purchases that aren't an 'upward move'.
Waterline blew off my waterwell a few months ago, and I went to repair it and found the 75 gallon (almost 700 lbs) tank's pad had settled due to all the rainfall we had been getting. A 1 1/2" PVC fitting had cracked and then broke. Spent the better part of a day cutting loose all the other piping, removing the tank, digging the topsoil out, putting down a good gravelpack in place of it,leveling the pad and then putting it all back together. Wife said "Well, you got that fixed up pretty quick."

Me: "Yeah, all that, just to put us right back where we were yesterday. In ag, if you aren't one step ahead, you're 2 steps behind."