Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree with CntryBoy! The cold weather will zap it out of you and then being under the weather doesn't help either. I think the up and down if the temps are helping anyone with colds or sinuses and the flu is running rampant, along with a stomach virus. We keep getting all kinds of official updates on illnesses at work. I hope you both start feeling better soon!

I wish Rose would settle in better. The poor girl sounds like she's very unsure of herself. :(

Congrats on the lamb! :fl for ewe lambs!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Still down one duck???
Wish I had some words of wisdom about Rose and eating.
Congrats on the lamb.

The duck was a muscovy and he decided to stay out for the night, he went back in with the other ducks on Saturday.

For Rose we will just have to wait and keep trying different things. I wish her confidence would be better, we are doing everything we can to boost it. She has yet to bond to either of us though i think she will pick DH...which i'm fine with.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry you're sick... Been there and only just recovering. I can so identify with dragging butt... Hope you can get it kicked sooner rather than later. Glad you got the hog taken care of and will have a little break before the actual butchering. Now you've got me all concerned about Rose... Seriously glad she returned. I hope she'll start eating (and drinking) soon for you. I can completely understand your concerns. Do you leave the food out for her so she can take it as/when she might desire?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry you're sick... Been there and only just recovering. I can so identify with dragging butt... Hope you can get it kicked sooner rather than later. Glad you got the hog taken care of and will have a little break before the actual butchering. Now you've got me all concerned about Rose... Seriously glad she returned. I hope she'll start eating (and drinking) soon for you. I can completely understand your concerns. Do you leave the food out for her so she can take it as/when she might desire?

Hopefully we get better soon!! We need the break DH and I are both so worn out we have been going to bed at 8 or 9pm for days now. We were very glad she came back as well. We leave the food out and meat as well.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most of these are on my lambing thread but i have some goat news for this side too.

You can pretty clearly see Phoebe's(full color boer on right) big prego belly in this picture.
20180116_173800.jpg
20180116_173820.jpg
20180116_173811.jpg

20180116_173804.jpg
20180116_173814.jpg
20180116_174036.jpg

I have confirmed Ivy(tog) has the very very start of building an udder, so i dont expect her to kid for awhile yet. Hazel(tog) may or may not be bred. Phoebe is definitely bred and will likely kid around the first week of February which is her norm. Cassioipia(alpine) looks prego but i didnt feel an udder yet so she maybe due later.

Sara Ranch

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition!

With the super cold weather, some of my animals are eating WAY less than they normally would. Drinking less too. I keep an eye on all and make sure there is movement. I encourage all to go outside daily. The ducks get a pass when it's negative and single digit temps outside.

For you - I am hoping it's the new environment and the cold weather that has her eating less than you think she should.

For you and DH - *hug* I hope you guys feel better soon! I know it's tough to do farm chores and care for animals when you don't feel well and/or have an injury. Especially when the temps are cold!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Really glad you caught the "almost froze/past shivering" little ram lamb. That would have been a shame to lose him. Is his momma not caring for him?