Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thankfully the snow melted off.......because it rained every day almost all day. Todays high is 47F heatwave! We have gotten no progress made on a pig nursery, We had to fix the goat/sheep pen, fix the shelter that is trying to collapse, make a gate and close off the back wall...so the goats and sheep can come home. We got the fence fixed, shelter partly shored up, and gate fixings. Still have to run new hot wire, put in a real ground for the fence, close off the back wall and scrap out the shelter and put in bedding as well as re-hang the mineral feeder.

Today is work on pig stuff day after work. we actually need to move the hereford in with the boar but since sarah is so close we can't move her to a farrow pen atm even if we build one so a slight reprieve from that.

We do need to modify her pen a bit to add a heat corner for the piglets where she can't destroy yet another heat lamp....her current score is Sara 4 heat lamps 0. Ironically an alert for "Sara due" popped up on my phone yesterday. Near as i can figure/recall we must have saw her get bred in pasture and i put it in my calendar just in case. Of course with everything since then going on we completely forgot. So it looks like we will only have 1 spring litter of piglets.

We need to get that coyote dead, we are down to 2 ducks. We have not seen it since the first 2 times.

We also need to do fall herd management when they come home. They need wormed, goats need hooves trimmed and copper bolus. We are playing with the idea of separating anyone who is thin and feeding them a little extra only problem is we have no place to put them. Last time we looked they were all looking pretty good compared to how they came out of winter and nursing. Hopefully with the fall round of worming and bolus as well as more regular access to loose minerals they will shape up the rest of the way. The ones I was concerned about last time we were there was 294 and captain for the sheep and latte and espresso for the goats. 308 looked a little thin but not horribly so.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Always something to do on the farm, it sure can make you feel like you are behind the 8 ball of getting things done. A little at a time, eventually you will get it all done. I keep a scrap pile of used tin and raid it frequently. I also keep a pile of reject lumber and raid that likewise. Wealth to me, junk to someone else.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Always something to do on the farm, it sure can make you feel like you are behind the 8 ball of getting things done. A little at a time, eventually you will get it all done. I keep a scrap pile of used tin and raid it frequently. I also keep a pile of reject lumber and raid that likewise. Wealth to me, junk to someone else.

We have a big pile of pallets both slated and decked, a very large pile of scrape wood, a pile of 2x6s and lots of scrap/tin....it's mostly things like boxes of nails and hinges etc that hold us up because everything has to be build for wind, snow load, frost heave, and warmth in winter but cool in summer here :he

Slowly things are getting done.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ask my husband that my birthday present be a 5 pound box of deck screws. $30 for them! Gosh I love those things! I have 2", 2 1/2" 3" and 4"...…….I need more! Blast!Christmas is out, we are giving each other a truck tire. :lol:

Bay, we are so much alike at times! :D =D That would be a perfect gift for me too, especially the big tubs. We go through those like other folks go through breakfast cereal. I love hardware!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I ask my husband that my birthday present be a 5 pound box of deck screws. $30 for them! Gosh I love those things! I have 2", 2 1/2" 3" and 4"...…….I need more! Blast!Christmas is out, we are giving each other a truck tire. :lol:

Maybe I will suggest that this christmas.....though he will be buying himself a truck tire before then. We do try to get useful things like last year he got bibs, work boots, and wool socks, year before he got a stanley "every bit and ratchet in many sizes known including deep well metric and standard known to man" set, yeah before that was a set of ridgid cordless drills. I just don't think we have ever though about hardware for presents!

We are supposed to get a little snow next week and I'm tickled pink! I'm ready for it and love snow, though it likely won't stick around as we will be having too much rain and too warm of temps for it to stay.

If it stayed for 6 months a year with its friend frigid....you would probly like snow less. :lol:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Maybe I will suggest that this christmas.....though he will be buying himself a truck tire before then. We do try to get useful things like last year he got bibs, work boots, and wool socks, year before he got a stanley "every bit and ratchet in many sizes known including deep well metric and standard known to man" set, yeah before that was a set of ridgid cordless drills. I just don't think we have ever though about hardware for presents!

If it stayed for 6 months a year with its friend frigid....you would probly like snow less. :lol:

Nah...used to be like that here when I was growing up and I loved it all the same. Had to work out in it and walk a mile to bus stop in it, up hill and down, and though it was uncomfortable, it was still lovely all the same. Used to start snowing in Oct. and snow stayed on and was still falling in April. I've had to watch July fireworks while wearing a winter jacket. Used to live where the snow actually buried our house to the eaves and we had to dig a tunnel to climb out and slide into the house. Still love the snow!