Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
80’s and 90’s is nice weather. 95+ is hot, 100’s is awful. Fortunately there usually isn’t many 100* days. I’d rather have the heat than piles of snow for months. I suggest you move south in the winter so you can acclimate as summer heats up, better than coming into a hot cookie oven. LOL

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would love to love but until my parents estate is taken care of I'm stuck here...second problem is employee in another state at or near my current pay is not likely. We do want to move we just have to wait. I was here for my family now with my mom dying in May and my dad dying in september not much reason. I moved back when my real dad got ill, then my mom found a tumor on hr breast, then my brother killed himself, then my mom was trying to fight cancer with natural methods, then she died, my step-dad had a drop-dead heart attack in september with no warning. So yeah as much as I hate it here I couldn't abandon my family during all of that. We will probly be stuck here for another couple of years to get things in order to sell our house then move down someplace south, not sure where yet.

My sister-in-law lives in flint and complains about how cold it is everytime she comes up here. Flint is usually 15-20F warmer and with a lot more rain instead of snow. For me the older I get the more I hurt and the more I dis-like the cold and snow...DH is starting to agree a lot.

I recall many posts of people down south complaining of the heat..esp the last week or two because its still in the 80s and 90s :lol:

I dunno I don't think any place is ever perfect for weather all the time, I just want something more middling on temps.

Come live in the middle, MM! It's good in the middle. :D :love The best of both worlds...get some cold, get some heat, but mostly it's in the middling on temps. Pay is not good, but the cost of living isn't as high either. Taxes are fairly cheap here too.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Come live in the middle, MM! It's good in the middle. :D :love The best of both worlds...get some cold, get some heat, but mostly it's in the middling on temps. Pay is not good, but the cost of living isn't as high either. Taxes are fairly cheap here too.

Looks like most anything I can find in WV that would be in our price range is in the sticks and I mean sticks like "driveway" and "road" are 2 tracks and the houses are all "fixer uppers". Most are all woods it looks like from google. Found 2 that might work but I have a question.....is it normal for a road to go thru your yard and around your house and then to a neighbors house? I would simply assume it is a shared driveway but the mailbox is by the house which would be up the driveway...just seems odd. Maybe when everything is settled we could afford to look at moving. As far as i know one or both of us would require jobs where ever we are moving to be able to get a home loan so it would be tricky.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have an access lane that goes through our property that serves as an emergency exit/entry in the event that the railroad tracks at our neighbors is not open. We control it via a gate that the neighbor has a keep to the lock so we can keep people out at other times. That same railroad track goes in a tunnel UNDER our driveway on our property. :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like most anything I can find in WV that would be in our price range is in the sticks and I mean sticks like "driveway" and "road" are 2 tracks and the houses are all "fixer uppers". Most are all woods it looks like from google. Found 2 that might work but I have a question.....is it normal for a road to go thru your yard and around your house and then to a neighbors house? I would simply assume it is a shared driveway but the mailbox is by the house which would be up the driveway...just seems odd. Maybe when everything is settled we could afford to look at moving. As far as i know one or both of us would require jobs where ever we are moving to be able to get a home loan so it would be tricky.

Yes! Most often these are homes that were part of a larger tract of land~say a farm or homestead~that had several family members living on the same place, but that family has passed out of time and memory, leaving a farm that was divided up and sold by heirs. The only way in or out, due to the mountains, hollers and ridges, are often these roads or old logging roads that lead to the properties beyond.

Our home is the same way....it's part of our original homestead, but was retained after the bulk of it was sold to another person. We share an access road with a few neighbors and absentee owners, but the county does not maintain our access road, nor do the neighbors.... we have born the sole responsibility for it for many a long year. If we don't do it, no one will. That's one problem with shared access, so I'd avoid those properties if you could. An upside to it is that they know everything that is going on at your place and will watch it for you while you are gone....no thieves breaking in, no hunters or 4 wheelers trespassing, etc.

Back in the sticks has its advantages.....PEACE and quiet!!!! Very little problems with neighbors because they aren't right up on you. People come to your home to get away from it all, but it's so far out they don't make a habit of it nor overstay their welcome. Everything is a far drive~stores, churches, schools, work~but the upside is that everything is far away from you and you grow to LOVE that.

You won't hear the neighbors barking dogs, their loud revving of engines until 2 am, their verbal battles, their too loud music, traffic noise or sawmills. You WILL hear the whippoorwills, the owls, the coyotes, the night birds and bugs, the wind in the pines and aspen, the faint tinkling of the wind chimes, and rain on the roof. Even the sound of the snow as it falls....you can actually HEAR it snow.
So WORTH it!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where we live is kind of similar as far as neighbors being far away.Across the road is a private gated community and we are on the forest end of it so the closest house to the south over there is about 4 miles, to the north on that side it is about 3/4-1 miles. on our side of the road the north neighbor is 1+ mile and the south neighbor is around 1/2 mile, then to the east behind us there is the 10 point club which is a 80 acre hunting club and only has people on it during deer hunting season and the last 4 acres between them and us is swamp/marsh. The only neighbor thing we ever hear is the south neighbor's dog barking sometimes or the north neighbor working in a field and mowing a little strip of grass about twice a year.

I do like the quiet no neighbors part of things and the fact you cant even see any other houses from anyplace on our property. But the snow..no...6F today when I got up.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got 4-5" of snow yesterday/last night and it is very very cold which is nor normal for us. Typically we are in the mid-upps 40s up to mid-50s at this time of year. Yesterday's high was 26, todays is 25 and tomorrows is 27....it was 63 two weeks ago:th
Forecast says we will be in the 30s and very low 40s after wednesday until mid december.

DH and I have been talking I lean pretty heavily towards tennesee and he wants something near enough to reasonably drive to the Mississippi river for day fishing. I assume it will be a couple of years before we can really move so for now it is just bide our time.

The job offer in texas for DH didnt work out so that sucks. I've been looking for other options but nothing good so far.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at all your options, make tentative plans and preparations. Look for jobs, land & house. In my experience, it will all come together when it is supposed to.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Look at all your options, make tentative plans and preparations. Look for jobs, land & house. In my experience, it will all come together when it is supposed to.
There is nice areas between Dyersburg and Reelfoot....it is along the TN/KY line close to the river....and not far from Kentucky Lake area....I would stay above Covington if fishing the Mississippi River, just sayin..... ;)
Thank you both for the advice. Atm we couldn't move...we need to buy a livestock trailer or some kind before moving oh and have some money for a down payment :lol:

Latest posts