Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Made ribs for dinner oh they were so so good. Since we were low on pork i picked up some ribs on BOGO at meijers so I got 3 dinners plus enough left for 2-3 lunches of ribs for $13.....here is a picture of DHs plate :drool :drool they were really nice and over an inch thick even on the "thin" end

I just got caught up and had to quit drooling before saying that is a nice looking plate. :)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The food looked great so I went and pulled out a pork roast, my husband says thank you for the inspiration !

Very glad I could help. I'm not sure what we are having for dinner tonight. If anyone has a meijers by you the meijers brand whole turkey are on sale for the next 4 days at 33cents/LB, honeysuckle is 69/LB and butterball is 99/LB.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very glad I could help. I'm not sure what we are having for dinner tonight. If anyone has a meijers by you the meijers brand whole turkey are on sale for the next 4 days at 33cents/LB, honeysuckle is 69/LB and butterball is 99/LB.
Dang it, no meijers here, I have been looking for turkey on sale, ....have a great dinner and stay warm. We are up to 72 inside the house now without any heat on, I have a swearshirt and leggings on and am cold lol, I would die if I had to move back to New England !

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dang it, no meijers here, I have been looking for turkey on sale, ....have a great dinner and stay warm. We are up to 72 inside the house now without any heat on, I have a swearshirt and leggings on and am cold lol, I would die if I had to move back to New England !

Butterball premium whole turkey at walmart is 98/LB if you have a walmart.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will respect that someone is a vegan or a vegetarian or has a diet restriction or allergy as long as they respect that I DON'T and don't make rude comments or be a butt when things are not to their liking.
That would be DD1, vegetarian and issues with gluten and nightshades. She doesn't bug us about eating meat though has expressed her opinion that people don't need to, and shouldn't, eat meat. It is an emotional thing with her, nothing more. She was kind of on her own for dinner many a night. Now it is the food prep people at college that get to deal with her restrictions. When she is home we do what we can to do gluten free stuff, some aren't too hard. Kinnikinnick has a VERY good pancake/waffle/crepe mix.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went shopping yesterday and stocked up on meat and butter. Butter was on sale at meijer for 2.79/lb and they still had ribs on buy one get one so i got 2 more racks. Also got myself a 14lb turkey for $5 and a lot of other good deals like frozen veggies for 0.79 a bag. So things like milk aside we should have enough food stuff until febuary or march.

I have 11lbs of bread flour left so when i go back to meijers for their Saturday sale on the 30th I will go across the road to walmart and pick up another 20lbs. Why am I going to meijers you ask?? They are advertising 5lb bags of flour and 4lb bags of white sugar for 99 so I will be going to get 50lbs of flour and 40lbs of sugar. The flour will go in the freezer and the sugar will go into a plastic bin in the cabinet.

The whole goal here is to need no trips to the next town over until winter is pretty well done and avoid all the little trips and buying so much stuff locally at pretty inflated prices. At our local store to make one simple meal I have paid $30 the same items at a meijer or walmart cost be less then $20. I am all for supporting local and we do on most things and always buy the locally grown stuff the local stores sell but the self stable goods no I am not paying double or more what they are at big box stores.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing some good shopping! I like deals like that. We buy practically no meat, but since we don't raise beef, we buy rib eyes every so often. That is about all the meat we buy. Since we like chicken fried steak (round steak) I am now having the leg of lamb cut into steaks, tenderized and that is my chicken fried steak now.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You are doing some good shopping! I like deals like that. We buy practically no meat, but since we don't raise beef, we buy rib eyes every so often. That is about all the meat we buy. Since we like chicken fried steak (round steak) I am now having the leg of lamb cut into steaks, tenderized and that is my chicken fried steak now.

Thank you.

Normally we dont buy pork or chicken. Since we have no pigs to slaughter atm and were almost out of pork i had to buy some. The only things left from our pigs are 2 roasts, one pork steak, 2 half hams, 5lbs of breakfast sausage and maybe 4 lbs of bacon. We often have a work friend of DHs over to help out with stuff around the farm and projects, DH pays him a modest amount and then we pay him the rest in food usually pork and canned stuff so that has helped us go thru it faster. We didnt end up raising chickens this year or last so we ran out of that long ago, we had 2 ducks slated for freezer camp but then a predator got them.

We are hoping this year to raise 2 batches of meat birds, repopulate our ducks, get turkeys and maybe a calf depending how things go. We do have a lamb destined for butcher but the weather needs to cooperate first. We also need to get a deer or two. Since we have moved our second chest freezer hasnt even been plugged in...thats how behind on meat/freezer stuff we got. I also need to go to my parents and clean out their chest freezer soon and I have no clue what is in it.

I think Sara's gilts will end up being butchered, we will see as winter goes on.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Also forgot to tell you guys Sarah had piglets, 4 of them and didnt bother to feed them or care a toot about them at all. So we got a heat lamp up and a bang board up. Then we went to feed Stubby and guess what...she had her piglets too. She had 9 and this was her first litter, she pulled down a bale of hay and massive over nested so she lost 3 before we found them. The 6 that were left had been well fed and were active despite the cold. Sara's piglets looked like it was probly already to late for them but we hoped warming them would help.

We ended up pulling sara and putting her with the boar along with hereford girl and then putting stubby and her 6 babies in the pen with sara's piglets. We covered everyone in baby powder and left them alone. Stubby being a first time mom seems to not have understood how to lay down without being on her piglets because she was trying to lay really close to them. By the next morning we were from 10 piglets down to 4 piglets. All of sara's died despite being bigger then stubby's piglets.

That makes 3 bad litters for sara, DH was ready to put her in a stall and feed her up for 3 weeks then butcher her. That is his favorite pig even with all her bad behavior. I suggested she just go in with the boar and if she doesnt give a good litter of spring piglets she is done. I am seeing a pattern with Sara though, it seems like if she has fall piglets they dont do well and she doesnt want to care for them, her spring piglets she is a good mom typically...it's odd.

Stubby will be forgiven for her bad mom tendencies because the second day she was trying hard to lay down slowly and gently which i'm sure is a feat when you weigh 300+lbs. The first time is always a roll of the dice with any livestock. Sweetie one of our best Ewe moms actually had zero mother instincts when she had be first lamb(maggie and turned out great for all the rest after that.

Latest posts