Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd argue against Ideal having near show quality stock. My first 12, in 2012, came from Ideal. No problems with the girls but the Salmon Faverolles were the smuttist looking birds. Nothing near proper color. Anais is still alive, she's been a great chick raiser though not willing to take day olds even when she was broody.

They had Cubalayas when I ordered which is why we went with Ideal, DD1 liked the little Cubalayas. I see they don't list them any more. I wish they would improve their website with better pictures of each breed. Pictures of the chicks isn't real helpful to know what the adults look like. Meyer has a lot better description and pictures of their birds.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was referring to the turkeys mostly being from purebred, more show quality type birds. Although they do also contract out for some of the rarer breeds of chickens, it is much easier to just get more commercial type of the different chicken breeds even when they contract out since it is hard to find some of the breeds raised in any numbers for commercial hatchery needs. They are much more restrictive on what they offer in turkeys. If you want show quality birds, you have to buy from someone who raises them for show. That said, some of the stock that comes from these commercial hatcheries are decent, and better quality can be bred up with them. And, some of the quality of the breeds is barely representative of what they really are.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you

We are making slow progress on our new high tunnel. Not for it being difficult to build but simply because DH doesnt get home until 6pm and has to be in bed by 9pm so we are only getting about an hour of work done for the weekdays. Here is a picture of just the hoops. We have the hip boards and base boards on now as well. The high tunnel is 12ftx32ft and we are guessing between 9-10ft tall.
1605207057210.jpg