Misfitmorgan's Journal - Hello Spring, My old friend!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi All,
We live in Northern Michigan....which is just easier then saying the north eastern side of the lower peninsula of michigan which is more accurate lol Basically hold up the mitt portion of michigan and we are on the pointer finger area. The climate here is crazy esp this spring we had more snow in april then we had all year combined. A week and a half ago it was in the 70-80s and all this past week and next two weeks is low 40s and mid 50s. Crazy weather really, the lakes have a lot to do with it so they say.
A little complicated but the "we" portion is me and my Hubby who isnt actually my hubby...because we are both still going thru our divorces but other then the miner legal side of things we live, act, and portray ourselves as husband and wife because as soon as the paperwork is done we will be...if we lived in a common law marriage state and weren't married to other people we would be common law already lmao. See complicated.
We have a lovely 20 acre farm we got a little less then a year ago now. Ok well we think it is lovely and are gloriously in love with our Big Black Barn...but...always a but. The Owners(we lease atm) were pretty bad hoarders of everything really, on top of that they were very lazy people. So as you may imagine all the buildings were filled to the ceiling with basically junk. None of the buildings have had any upkeep in the last 12yrs and if something hit the ground that is where it stayed. We have been cleaning the property since about May last year when we were given the ok to start picking things up. It took from May until July to clean up enough to move the livestock to the barn and from July until September before we could move in. So that gives you an idea.
The goal/dream is be full-time farming but we are not at all there yet. We both got inspired to really love and want to farm from our grandparents. Mine owned a 180acre diary cow farm that had been in the family for over 125yrs...which my Uncle made some bad choices and we lost the homestead parcel and all the land except 40acres of woods my dad bought so he could keep his hunting camp there. The new owners tore down all the barns, sheds, grainery, and equipment sheds except a newer pole building and about 1/4 of the original wood barn. The first time i say it after the new owners took over it was heart breaking. Imagine some place you spent uncountable hours as a child and young adult, someplace you loved more then anything and someone tore it all down. I was fine with someone else owning it though sad but i thought i could still go look at it atleast...no they took that too. Hubby's Grandparents owned a 120acre farm in Iowa, his father inherited the farm when grandpa wanted to retire and drank away all but 20acres of it in roughly 15yrs. So basically we both grew up with farmers in the family and hoped to become farmers ourself but ended up having to start from scratch...so we ended up on the 20acre farm we have now.
So thats basically it for now.

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wrong, DH corrected me.:hide His work would be paid 1.5cents per pound if the energy place actually took any of the wood.

Meanwhile DH and our friend Tommy build a third pen in the workshop on Saturday and on Sunday we made temporary loft hay storage across the tops of all the pens and now have around 100 bales of hay stored above the pigs. Two birds with one stone because have more storage for hay and they pigs have roofs so they will stay warmer.:weee

20171111_181147.jpg

Thats DH in red and our friend Tommy in the tan. The pens are all 4ft tall and you can easily climb them because of the spaced out boards on top. The left pen is Mr pig and helga, the big pen is behind DH and Tommy which is where Eva, Sarah, Laverne and Spot are, and now the pen on the right has the herefords and two barrows. All piglets are still at Tommy's house for now. DH has two more lights he is going to install in the big pen as well since it is kinda dark in there with all the hay "lofts" we put in.
Sunday we also moved 350+ bales of hay to the new farm and two loads of misc stuff.:th

Friday my boss asked me if i could make 48 cupcakes for his daughter and he needed them Sunday night, i told him yes.....extra money :D =D The order was for galaxy cupcakes, everyone loved them and today my boss asked if he could give my phone number out because other people wanted to order some cupcakes for their kids birthdays and such.:woot
20171112_192147.jpg
20171112_192203.jpg

Not the best lighting because it was 8:30 at night but they came out good. I think if i ever made them again i would just a much bigger piping tip so i could get more height on them.

DH is going hunting tomorrow so hopefully he gets a nice size deer.:fl

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
So last Saturday Lucy had kids. Boy/girl twins...yay! Then Monday we found her snuggled with her kids and unfortunately she snuggled the boy between herself and the wall. He did not make it. Here is a picture of her and her doe kid the day they were born though, the doe was born first.
20160422_194148.jpg

She always has babies with bands. Lucy is a mini La Mancha.

Then Sunday morning we let Alice out of the birthing stall because she had not had babies and was in there for over a week. We thought she would like to visit the herd and maybe get some sunshine and outside time. Instead she did this at about 5pm.
20160423_170642.jpg

Who needs a clean dry stall...brat. Alice is a ND and had twins does!

One of our farm goals was to have rainbow eggs...so you open that farm dozen and it's goregous. After a year this is what we have.
1461509898374.jpg

Thats cement residue stuck in the bucket btw lol and 2 duck eggs in the upper left corner. I really like the egg colors we have esp the blues. Recently one of the young hens started laying a gorgeous dark green egg too.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is DH working in the garden...i always have to sneak his pictures.
DSCN0341.JPG

These are two of our hoop coops which we didnt use this year. Normally there are tarp tops so the poultry have shade and nest boxes, roost pole, etc. The metal sided one is great for raising ducklings.
DSCN0363.JPG

Issac thinking he sees a rabbit
DSCN0405.JPG

And some more pictures of Issac
DSCN0372.JPG
DSCN0373.JPG
DSCN0374.JPG
DSCN0375.JPG

This is how most of his pics turn out because he LOVES to run
DSCN0385.JPG
DSCN0387.JPG

Attachments

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We lost Mocha one of our tog girls. We are not exactly sure what happened but DH found her dead in their shelter yesterday after work, it looks like she got piled on top of night before last when it was so cold. I do know the sheep have been sleeping in the shelter the last week or so which they have never done before so it may be more crowded then normal but i would think she was big enough to get up if other goats/sheep tried to lay on her. It's sad, we dont have a lot of goats anymore and the ones we have (except moon) are all my favs so losing any of them really sucks.:hit

In more happier news...

Everyone....say hello to Rose
Rose 1 1-4-18.jpg
Rose 2 1-4-18.jpg

Our new LGD. This was about half way home, she was pretty amazing. According to her old owners she has only ever been in a car once and that was to go get spayed, she also only once ever had a harness or leash on before. She also got to go in the house last night(old house not mine) for the first time ever. She was clearly stressed being in the house and did not like it at all, she was a bit stressed in the car but i kept petting her and it seemed to help her calm down and decide the car was ok.

DH did have to half pick her up to get her out of the car and then she army crawled to the door of the workshop with some leading assistance by DH, the second she got inside she laid on a pile of old hay/bedding(dry) and sat there shaking. She has never seen pigs before. We comforted her the best we could, made her a bed with clean hay(which she refused to move too)and put down a bowl of food. I stayed there with her for a bit but we did have company and it was very cold out. She acted wonderfully even though she was very stressed, she was calm and tried to do what we were asking of her. By the time DH and i headed to the house she had almost completely stopped shaking and seemed like she thought the pigs might be alright, she was happy(i think) to see the ducks.

I think she will work out well once she settles in, she is staying in the workshop until sunday then DH and I will walk her around "her property" and let the poultry out to have some sunlight. She seems like a watcher type so we shall see if sh stays that way once she is settled in. DH commented on how small she was....I agree from pictures i have seen of Pyrs she does seem small. The people were wrong on her age is a little over 2yrs old, is it possible she still has to grow more? @Southern by choice

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule you might like some of these....

Spot Pig
20180206_173143.jpg

Sara
20180206_173137.jpg

Herefords!!
20180206_173117.jpg
20180206_173128.jpg

And this hereford gilt....scaled the walls between her pen and the big girls pen and is now stuck in the big girls pen. We need to get her out....meanwhile she hides in the corner closest to her pen. i think she has learned there is nothing fun when you scale your pen.
20180206_173152.jpg

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A very prego Helga...i swear she is never gonna pop.
20180206_172952.jpg

Mr. Pig
20180206_172922.jpg
20180206_172906.jpg

He is a bit wet in that second picture....he tips the water dish and plays in the water. The water dish is the bottom 3rd of a 5 gallon bucket btw for size reference. We got Mr Pig in July, 2015 as a 12 week old piglet so in the beginning of May Mr Pig will be turning 3yrs old. Helga will be 2yrs old in April(?? i think).

The ducks and some chickens
20180206_173249.jpg

308, 310, Sweetie....and Rosie
20180206_173211.jpg

Sweetie is looking at little thin.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The weather won't make up it's mind here either.

I wish it would just stay spring already and no more white stuff.

Nothing new really. All Livestock is doing well. I have strep throat..yay me :th

I've figured out the math and to fence off our place the way we want....for fencing it is going to cost over 7k...and i havnt figured in a couple fencers and hot wire/clips yet. That will give us 4 - approx 1acre pastures, a perimeter fence, approx 1/2 acre for ducks/geese, 1.5 acres for the backyard, orchard, garden, etc.
Untitled.png

Plus a lane to load/unload and a place to corral sheep to shear.....and never having to reverse with a trailer.