Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know those are ducks :p

The poultry is in there for now too, it is the only spot we had to put them atm.

Those pens are actually in the east end of DHs new workshop :hide the big pen that goes across the whole end is a dirt floor(old dog or poultry pen with a pop door) the smaller pen on the left is helga and mr pig's pen and it is on cement hence the thick layer is hay for bedding. Helga and Mr' pigs pen is approx 5.5 x 8ft and plenty big for them. The big pigs pen is approx 10 x 20ft. We will be either dividing the big pigs pen or building another pen by helga and mr pigs pens for the hereford trio to be split off. That will leave laverne, spot, and sarah in the giant pen so we will probly just split the big pen.

We love free wood!! There will be more to be had as well. The last free wood was 16' 2x6s the ones those pens are built with plus around 8 more left from that load. DH is going to stockpile lumber for building animals buildings and pens in the spring.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
In theory yes but the energy company is across the street and has enough wood chips that they are not using the wood from DHs work.....they have not used it in 2+yrs and they still have enough chips and other wood products coming in they won't run out for at least another 2+yrs if they stopped accepting new stuff now.

So the problem is DHs work throws all their wood scrap and rejects over in a pile on DHs works property for the energy company to take...but they dont get paid until the energy company chips the wood and takes it over to be weighed before going on the chip piles. So his company has made nothing on those boards for 2+yrs now and wont make anything for another 2+yrs at least. The company was also recently bought out by some canadian company.

The last time anyone can recall the energy company actually taking anything off that pile for chips was so long ago the original owner was still alive and he died 4yrs ago. So giving the rejects away for free actually doesnt make much difference at this point.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Well, I would guess the alternative would be as the pile continues to grow (out of control and with no reduction in sight), at some point, the fire department is going to label it a fire hazard, hence insurance costs will skyrocket if not removed, and removal will cost them, so no money coming in & lots of money going out. so... Sure, take all you want! Went through this at my last employer. They had to lease these huge roll on roll off dumpsters and asked for (conscripted) volunteers to work extra time to clean the back 3 acres up. What a mess it was back there...

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wrong, DH corrected me.:hide His work would be paid 1.5cents per pound if the energy place actually took any of the wood.

Meanwhile DH and our friend Tommy build a third pen in the workshop on Saturday and on Sunday we made temporary loft hay storage across the tops of all the pens and now have around 100 bales of hay stored above the pigs. Two birds with one stone because have more storage for hay and they pigs have roofs so they will stay warmer.:weee

20171111_181147.jpg

Thats DH in red and our friend Tommy in the tan. The pens are all 4ft tall and you can easily climb them because of the spaced out boards on top. The left pen is Mr pig and helga, the big pen is behind DH and Tommy which is where Eva, Sarah, Laverne and Spot are, and now the pen on the right has the herefords and two barrows. All piglets are still at Tommy's house for now. DH has two more lights he is going to install in the big pen as well since it is kinda dark in there with all the hay "lofts" we put in.
Sunday we also moved 350+ bales of hay to the new farm and two loads of misc stuff.:th

Friday my boss asked me if i could make 48 cupcakes for his daughter and he needed them Sunday night, i told him yes.....extra money :D =D The order was for galaxy cupcakes, everyone loved them and today my boss asked if he could give my phone number out because other people wanted to order some cupcakes for their kids birthdays and such.:woot
20171112_192147.jpg
20171112_192203.jpg

Not the best lighting because it was 8:30 at night but they came out good. I think if i ever made them again i would just a much bigger piping tip so i could get more height on them.

DH is going hunting tomorrow so hopefully he gets a nice size deer.:fl