Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some day we will move to a warmer climate I'm sure. Dh does not want to live in Texas so I'm thinking Tenn....he is thinking Louisiana
I've lived on the outskirts of Memphis (Millington) 2 different times and lived in S. Louisiana for over 10 years..left there in '95.
S. Louisiana..if you like mosquitoes, oppressive humidity and almost daily rain during much of the year, as well as the risk of flood when they (USCoE) let water out of Old River Control Structure into the Atchafalya floodway, it's the place for you. State income tax and very poor roads outside the interstate system. The food is great, tho very rich and fattening.

Tenn...I did not care much for it at all. Fairly cold winters and the summers weren't much cooler than here where I live now. 2 of my adult children live there now, in the Eastern part of the state. The drug problems (first crack then/now meth) are legendary.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
He lived in texas for 4 yrs....in houston. I think the fact it was in houston has something to do with it. He wants to live in lousiana out in the booney's/swamp....i told him yes i would be happy to live there but first he needs to teach the livestock to swim and defend themselves from crocs and gators.:gig

I hope we get her too!!:clap
Not to mention the poisonous snakes and spiders!

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
That was a great tune you shared. :lol::clap Haven't heard that in over 40 years. Came out before I graduated high school. Thought it was kinda great then. ;)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We lost Mocha one of our tog girls. We are not exactly sure what happened but DH found her dead in their shelter yesterday after work, it looks like she got piled on top of night before last when it was so cold. I do know the sheep have been sleeping in the shelter the last week or so which they have never done before so it may be more crowded then normal but i would think she was big enough to get up if other goats/sheep tried to lay on her. It's sad, we dont have a lot of goats anymore and the ones we have (except moon) are all my favs so losing any of them really sucks.:hit

In more happier news...

Everyone....say hello to Rose
Rose 1 1-4-18.jpg
Rose 2 1-4-18.jpg

Our new LGD. This was about half way home, she was pretty amazing. According to her old owners she has only ever been in a car once and that was to go get spayed, she also only once ever had a harness or leash on before. She also got to go in the house last night(old house not mine) for the first time ever. She was clearly stressed being in the house and did not like it at all, she was a bit stressed in the car but i kept petting her and it seemed to help her calm down and decide the car was ok.

DH did have to half pick her up to get her out of the car and then she army crawled to the door of the workshop with some leading assistance by DH, the second she got inside she laid on a pile of old hay/bedding(dry) and sat there shaking. She has never seen pigs before. We comforted her the best we could, made her a bed with clean hay(which she refused to move too)and put down a bowl of food. I stayed there with her for a bit but we did have company and it was very cold out. She acted wonderfully even though she was very stressed, she was calm and tried to do what we were asking of her. By the time DH and i headed to the house she had almost completely stopped shaking and seemed like she thought the pigs might be alright, she was happy(i think) to see the ducks.

I think she will work out well once she settles in, she is staying in the workshop until sunday then DH and I will walk her around "her property" and let the poultry out to have some sunlight. She seems like a watcher type so we shall see if sh stays that way once she is settled in. DH commented on how small she was....I agree from pictures i have seen of Pyrs she does seem small. The people were wrong on her age is a little over 2yrs old, is it possible she still has to grow more? @Southern by choice

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Farming. Loss and life. Sadness and joy. Why does it have to be this way?

I am so sorry about Mocha I know it hurts. Your sweetie, your friend is gone for no good reason. You do your best and sometimes that's not good enough. But there is nothing to do but keep going forward. Big hugs.

Your new girl is beautiful. I love her already. She is behaving like Paris did when I bought her home. It is hard to pack a GP up in a car when she has never been socialized to it. No wonder she was scared. I am so happy for her, she now has a wonderful home. What is her name?