Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A very prego Helga...i swear she is never gonna pop.
20180206_172952.jpg

Mr. Pig
20180206_172922.jpg
20180206_172906.jpg

He is a bit wet in that second picture....he tips the water dish and plays in the water. The water dish is the bottom 3rd of a 5 gallon bucket btw for size reference. We got Mr Pig in July, 2015 as a 12 week old piglet so in the beginning of May Mr Pig will be turning 3yrs old. Helga will be 2yrs old in April(?? i think).

The ducks and some chickens
20180206_173249.jpg

308, 310, Sweetie....and Rosie
20180206_173211.jpg

Sweetie is looking at little thin.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad Rosie is settling in. She'll be a great dog for you and your animals.

I still have more burr removal duty, she tolerates it well for about 10-15minutes at a time and then she wants to be done.
Merlin was like that. I had him 3 weeks and that is about how long it took to get out the burrs.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad Rosie is settling in. She'll be a great dog for you and your animals.

Merlin was like that. I had him 3 weeks and that is about how long it took to get out the burrs.

I'm thinking i will be working on that project right into the warm months. She has several hundred burs...at least. Most you cant even see because they have been there so long. I started around her head and barrel....still not close to done.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rosie is beautiful. It will take a while to get her fur right. At least you have the spring coming up and she will blow her coat to grow in for summer. I used to brush mine, now I mostly pluck them. As the fur turns loose, I pluck it out, they seem to like that better. Then I run the Furminator over them.

The pigs look healthy and happy. I do love those Herefords! If I was to raise pigs, they sure would be at the top of my list. But I will happily support those who do raise pigs by purchasing feeder pigs from them. So each time, we get a different breed or cross, it all works out.

The stress from a crazy landlord gave way to stress from trying to buy a place, then another place, all the mortal hell you are put through just for trying to have your own home. Man, has that process ever changed! 30+ years ago, it was fairly simple. Local bank, they were actually glad to do business, down payment, sign here, it's yours. Now, it's like you are some kind of terrorist (like they would want to buy a home before they blow themselves up) and you are treated like a criminal.

Then you had the stress from moving and that is a whole 'nother bucket of stress. It's no wonder that you have been so sick. You need to take a weekend off. Make a big pot of soup or stew, some French bread-make it all garlicky-and stay on the couch wrapped in a blanket. Maybe your husband would take over animal duty for the weekend? Mine will, but I still drag myself outside to take care of my babies, LOL

I hope you feel better soon, you sure need it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide if i should cut the mats before or after her coat sheds out. The mats are not close to the skin yet and i am thinking after shedding there may be a chance i can brush them out. We shall see.

The pigs we have atm, except for Spot i do actually like. They have excellent personality, easy to gain weight, laid back attitudes, etc.

I know crazy stress. We did take this past weekend off...for the most part and i have been napping after work or going to bed at like 8-9pm. I am feeling a bit better now then i was the first 2-3 days.

Thank you Bay!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
With our Maisy, the mats just get worse even when she is shedding since it just seems to hang on to the new and old hair.

I think Rosie's mats are mostly due to the burs stuck in them. They seem to be holding old shed hair from last year in them and making the mats worse. I have the two worst mats about half way combed out but she really doenst like me combing those spot since they are pretty close to her ears on either side of her head.

Hopefully i can get her brushed out before she sheds then, if shedding is only going to make it worse. I have noticed the more burs and mats i get brushed out the fluffier she gets.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mats behind the ears happened every winter on our Pyrs. Lana (ES) used to pull burrs off of our first Pyr, Logan, with her mouth!!! I never had a problem with him having burrs as she literally removed every single one! She and Cooper never had that bond so he was always full of them and I had to work on keeping him free of them year-round. That became an even worse battle when he took to traipsing the country-side. Crazy dog! Either way, good luck.

I also like mat rakes and furminator type brushes on my Pyrs with their thick coats. A shedding blade also works nicely during the crazy spring shed. I used to have piles that looked like we had another Pyr because there was so much hair. It was crazy to watch it blow all over the farm.

You definitely need some downtime. I recommend some homemade chicken noodle soup (I’ll send you the family recipe if you want.) It seems to make a big difference and is always requested by anyone feeling drained or sick here. Might also add some vit d3. That helps my energy levels too.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mats behind the ears happened every winter on our Pyrs. Lana (ES) used to pull burrs off of our first Pyr, Logan, with her mouth!!! I never had a problem with him having burrs as she literally removed every single one! She and Cooper never had that bond so he was always full of them and I had to work on keeping him free of them year-round. That became an even worse battle when he took to traipsing the country-side. Crazy dog! Either way, good luck.

I also like mat rakes and furminator type brushes on my Pyrs with their thick coats. A shedding blade also works nicely during the crazy spring shed. I used to have piles that looked like we had another Pyr because there was so much hair. It was crazy to watch it blow all over the farm.

You definitely need some downtime. I recommend some homemade chicken noodle soup (I’ll send you the family recipe if you want.) It seems to make a big difference and is always requested by anyone feeling drained or sick here. Might also add some vit d3. That helps my energy levels too.

I was going to buy a mat rake at TSC but our locally they wanted $16 for one and DH would have killed me for getting it. So i have a heavy comb...it seems to work but slower going i think. When i owned a husky a long time ago i used to use my horses shedding blade on her during spring. She would shed like crazy to where they was long rolls or partly shed hair hanging off of her and trailing the ground. Worst case i just cut the mats out, they are not huge mats but enough so every time you pet her you can feel them.

We had chicken and rice soup about a week ago. I was thinking of making chicken a noodle tonight actually.....i'm just not sure i want to make the noodles. We always have our chicken noodles with homemade scarf noodles.....aka pain in the butt noddles but so so good. I am always happy to see other recipes. I dont really have a recipe i just put stuff in it kinda....thats how i cook most things. I think my favoirte thing to make and eat is beef stroganoff...everyone who has ever had mine loves it even people who dont like mushrooms.

Gah now i want beef stroganoff :lol: