Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad. I "know" (virtually) several families in Michigan but not exactly where they live. Thus I got concerned when I heard about the floods - 9' of water in a downtown!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad. I "know" (virtually) several families in Michigan but not exactly where they live. Thus I got concerned when I heard about the floods - 9' of water in a downtown!!

Yeah the flooding was pretty insane.

What breed of calves? Congrats on the purchase of the calves.
Just Holstein calves from the livestock auction. They are doing well so far still and don't appear to be having any health issues. They are I believe 3 weeks old now.

Only trouble we are having is the one we call big spot cant figure out how to eat the calf starter. So I have to put my hand up and pour it into his mouth. The one called little spot is on the starter, so hopefully big spot will learn.

Everything seems seems good. The poultry are all getting big. The meatheads, broad breasted turkeys, and ducks are ready to go to tractors.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
How are your pigs doing? Feeder pigs here have hit the stratosphere. No more $50-$60 piglets, prices are $100-$250 for a freaking FEEDER PIG!! :barnie Insane. All of a sudden, everybody wants to raise their own, that's good, but I wonder how many will stick with it. Anyway, the slaughter places are now booked a YEAR in advance. I finally found a farm that raises pigs at a reasonable price, an hour and a half away and reserved piglets for March 2021. Now I have to see if I can get a booking date for August or September 2021--for pigs I don't even have yet! :he

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
ALWAYS better to book and then have to cancel.... Even in the "normal times" our local slaughter place would have someone to be able to pick up an open spot from a cancellation. But it is insane for the places to be booked a year in advance. I am going to call the chicken guy on Monday to see how things look with him.... get a few dates booked for all these broilers. If the fox leaves any...... They are staying locked in and I am going to set a few traps to see what I catch. But I want to see how things look for him and get a couple of "regular dates " ..... Never know how many I am going to have and if things go along, there ought to be a big call for killing size chickens at the fall poultry swap since there wasn't a spring one. That would be nice, could have alot to take to sell.... all according to what gets "left behind" at the 2 different farms now. The ones at the closeby friends place will be going out around June 20th he said.... we will talk closer to then and see how they look. He said one house had a virus and they were treating them now.... might not want them.... or there might be alot of "small ones" and they would do okay once I get them out of the houses and in the air too. These are not near any of my purebreds, and probably never will move them to the new house near the purebreds/ and layers..... We will see....

You might see this really crash too when people find out how much work raising some of these animals are; and the amount of money that goes into feed and all. In a year there also might be a few more smaller local type plants to be opening or re-opening.... if some of the proposed legislation goes into effect.... But it just might get some people that have been straddling the fence to get off it and get serious about providing some of their own food..... I think that gardening will stay at an increase...... it is not as big a money investment as animals, and if it fails..... not as big a loss to those that have never relied on it for a good portion of their food.