Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I did forget to mention, we a big a apple branch feel into the goat/sheep pen while we were pruning and the goats and sheep were on it. Apparently they love apple bark, it is nearly bare now. So i think i take out the eaten branches out and put some fresh ones....it keeps them busy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our Paris had never even seen a sheep and tackled them. It took awhile. Then when she decided she wanted to be friends with them, they didn't like her. When the ewes butted her, she was enraged and attacked. This is not the way to make friends with sheep! They have finally declared a truce of some sort. Paris gives the ewes with new lambs some room and the ewes quit charging her like a freight train. When they butt Trip, he just gives them a silly grin and ignores them.

I'll bet Rosie is nowhere near the psychotic mess that Paris is, and given time and patience, Rosie will make a fine sheep and goat guard. She has a sweet and loving face. Her personality shines through any mistrust issues she might have. She is in the best home she could possibly have.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our sheep love apple trimmings and they are our favorite with poultry on the BBQ grill.

We do plan on saving anything sizable/reasonable so we can use it to smoke later....i love me some applewood smoked pork.

I have never actually seen the shop sheep make contact with Rosie. They do a mock lunge "gonna ram you" thing and she backs up. She was with sheep at her old home...i'm more worried about the goats. The momma goats can be pretty brutal if they think their baby is in danger. I am probly worrying for nothing because if we did put Rosie in with them and she wanted out, i have no doubt she could easily clear the 36" tall fence. Being able to clear the fence presents a who new challenge though. Rosie has not yet met the house dogs.:hide

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yep, the sheep, goats and Rosie will all figure things out. Different animals of course (talking cats now) but Christofur finally figured out that the other cats did NOT want to play with him. He will drop into a submissive lying position if he tries to play and they charge him. They will then walk, cautiously, away. I'm sure Rosie will figure out how far to stay back when the goats start looking at her aggressively. Hopefully this won't involve any pain.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mother's surgery went well. The tumor and two lymph nodes were removed. She does have a pretty bug incision, they also had to remove some muscle but she is in good spirits and at home. With the tumor gone she just has a few spots of cancer in her lungs as far as we know and will not be taking kemo or radiation treatment. The spots may or may not go away on their own from her hormone treatments that she is taking. She has not had any testing done since August of last year so the lung spots may be gone.

Nothing new at the farm...but we did get something like a foot of snow. DH also went off the road and rolled the truck on Tuesday. He is fine though sore and the truck has a lot of cosmetic damage but luckily he was only going 35-40mph so nothing to horrible.