Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like they did what we did to our house. Completely gutted it to the studs and then rebuilt. We put close to 75 thousand into our place getting it done and we did most of it ourselves except the new drywall on the ceilings.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya may be "Day Dreaming" a bit, but it sure is good to hear that coming from ya...about the Future....instead of another problem with the "Idiots" making your Happiness so difficult. Even from down here, I could see the smile on your face just thinking about what "Might or Could" be.....:)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It sounds like they did what we did to our house. Completely gutted it to the studs and then rebuilt. We put close to 75 thousand into our place getting it done and we did most of it ourselves except the new drywall on the ceilings.

If they had put some money into maintaining the out buildings this place would have been worth 200k easily but they only focused on the house and the guestrooms in the one building. They didnt live there and only used the one building so they let the other ones just sit there. That aside i'm not sure how much they put into the house but it was probly a far cry from 75k as everything is low grade and it is a small house.
They also say the kitchen is "updated" aside from adding a pantry i dont see what they updated? It has the old 60-70s back splash and the counter top is not new because i can see wear marks in the pics. So just doing a small "update" on the kitchen for a couple $100 would be much cheaper then a full remodel of the kitchen to modern stuff and they also didn't remodel the bathroom just put down new rolled vinyl flooring and a new toilet. Kitchen and bathroom are two of the most expensive rooms to remodel from what ive seen. As i mentioned before they do have the stuff for a bathroom remodel but it is again lower grade stuff.

Don't think i dont like the house or anything or dont like what they did because i do i'm just saying i don't think thye put a whole ton of money into the remodel like you would for say....your own house you live in all the time.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ya may be "Day Dreaming" a bit, but it sure is good to hear that coming from ya...about the Future....instead of another problem with the "Idiots" making your Happiness so difficult. Even from down here, I could see the smile on your face just thinking about what "Might or Could" be.....:)

Thank you, it does make me feel happier and way less stressed.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Truly! 139K for 80 acres (with a home... AND out buildings!)... wish I coulda found that around these parts!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why does the Zillow listing not reflect the new price? That's pretty weird. Trulia also still has it at $189K

Interesting that Zillow's "tax history" shows it declining in value and worth $74.5K last year

Realtor does show $139K. They have it at 25 days on the market so the price drop must have been at the beginning of March.

Even so, they didn't put anywhere near $90K into it, probably still too high. Especially since you NEVER get as much out as you put in. They started out money grubbing high, now just greedy high ;)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Land around here is so high that the place you are dreaming about sounds like a dream!

You can find cheap land here it just depends what you want on it or dont want on it lol.

Truly! 139K for 80 acres (with a home... AND out buildings!)... wish I coulda found that around these parts!

We are aiming to get it for less but it would be nice if other areas had cheap land too.

Taxes seem to be a major factor. Even in Tennessee they are fairly high around the metro areas but Ag zones are still pretty low.

Taxes on that place at approx $900/year

Why does the Zillow listing not reflect the new price? That's pretty weird. Trulia also still has it at $189K

Interesting that Zillow's "tax history" shows it declining in value and worth $74.5K last year

Realtor does show $139K. They have it at 25 days on the market so the price drop must have been at the beginning of March.

Even so, they didn't put anywhere near $90K into it, probably still too high. Especially since you NEVER get as much out as you put in. They started out money grubbing high, now just greedy high ;)

I noticed the same thing. I have been watching this place since december out of curiosity. It was originally listed at $189,000 thru a real estate company down state about 5hrs from here. Then it was listed thru real estate one but a different office about 2hrs away and had a price drop to $149,000 for 3 months, then it listed with real estate one here locally about 15 minutes away and dropped again to $139,000. The orginal contract was 3 months 189k, then 3 months 149k and i assume that makes the new one 3 months and 139k. So if the pattern follows in another 2 months they should drop the price again.

I think realtor just didnt update the prices on trulia and zillow, they are updated on their own website as well as another one they are listed on for "waterfront" places.

Price drop was at the beginning of March yes.

Declining in value is pretty typical for our area, nothing goes up unless you pull a permit and even then the new value slowly drops thru the years. I assume the value went up when they put in the new well and got permits for whatever else. I did notice the taxable value is going up while the equalized/assessed value is going down, not sure why that is. I think the assessed value is going down due to them not maintaining the outbuildings.

DH and I pretty much agreed already that we wouldn't pay over 100k for the place as it sits....but i'm pretty sure if it came down to getting it or not for another 5k i would take it lol. We also agreed if they agreed to clean out the buildings and we got the tractor that is sitting there, we would go up to 115k. We are not there yet though lol.

The other side of the coin is if they drop the price enough other people will be interested so it is a fine line between price we like and price everyone else likes.

Yesterday my mom came down cause she wanted me to go someplace with her and i asked if she wanted to go look at that place...there was someone parked in the driveway and some cleaning supplies on the porch so i'm wondering if they are going to do an open house.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can't believe the prices there. I never realized how expensive it is to live in the northeast until I started talking to people in different parts of the country.

I pay $3,000/year for a mobile home and 5 acres, most of which is swampy or woods. My MIL has an old farmhouse, barn, and an outbuilding on 5-6 acres of field and pays nearly $10,000!

Depressing!