Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Update on my BIL, a few days ago he had surgery and they removed his rectum, he will have a colostomy bag for the rest of his life but they believe they got all the cancer.
Definitely not fun. My cousin the ER doctor up near @babsbag had to have the same surgery a couple of years ago. She's doing fine and hopefully your BIL will do the same.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Had an uncle on a bag for 40 years. recently died of old age. Was pretty nasty when he'd get to drinking as he'd sometimes knock the bag opened :sick:sick:sick Hope they got it all and he's done and over it. He's still with you. Thanks for the pics!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, it's not Herefords, but they are all very nice looking. Moon the buck might be a jerk, but he shore is purdy. :love Y'all just moved, still have a lot of expense and things to do before taking on new animals. When things settle down, by all means, go get the heritage turkeys you want!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Definitely not fun. My cousin the ER doctor up near @babsbag had to have the same surgery a couple of years ago. She's doing fine and hopefully your BIL will do the same.

That is good to hear. My BIL is a lifetime farmer so i'm hoping this doesnt ruin that for him.

Had an uncle on a bag for 40 years. recently died of old age. Was pretty nasty when he'd get to drinking as he'd sometimes knock the bag opened :sick:sick:sick Hope they got it all and he's done and over it. He's still with you. Thanks for the pics!

Thankfully he hasnt drank in 20yrs other then a beer here and there.

No, it's not Herefords, but they are all very nice looking. Moon the buck might be a jerk, but he shore is purdy. :love Y'all just moved, still have a lot of expense and things to do before taking on new animals. When things settle down, by all means, go get the heritage turkeys you want!

That is sort of the plan, try to wait until things get more settled. Moon is a jerk,he is even more pretty when he is shaved down, he has a almost perfect heart on his side and another over his spine.
This is the one on his spine
20160807_203049.jpg
This is the one on his side
20160807_203152.jpg

I got a picture for you Bay....my phone didnt have much battery left but i couldnt not get a picture of what happened last night.
20171219_174311.jpg

20171219_174316.jpg

DH had me throw in a bale of our hay bedding, DH was watering the big girls and i looked over and here one of our hereford gilts had climbed up on the bale and was just standing there looking around. She stayed up there until DH went back in the pen and made her get down so he could take the twine off the bale and spread the bedding. It was cute though.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
So you have hay hopping Hereford hogs? :lol: Moon is so pretty, he should be easy to sell, then go get what you want. Those heart markings should draw in a buyer.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
It would seem that way. I started laughing and DH turned and looked at me like i was nuts. He told me to come grab the hose and i told him wait i have to get a picture for Bay!! Keep in mind he only knows you as "the lady on the forum i'm part of who loves herefords" so he rolled his eyes a bit and huffed :lol:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A guy called yesterday about Moon. He wants him but he lives 2hrs 15 mins away and doesn't want to drive that far so wants us to meet him around half way. The boer buck we want is 40 minutes from where we would be meeting him....which we could go pick up as soon as moon was dropped off.

Problem is if i tell the boer buck people we are coming to get the buck and this other guy for Moon flakes out not only will i not have quite enough cash for the buck, i will be out the gas and have no place to put another buck to bring home. This guy is the only one who has shown any interest so far.....it has only been 2 days though.

Any thoughts? I considered asking for a deposit to bring him down but i dont want to offend the guy.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why would that offend him?
When we meet for transport, depending on distance etc we may or may not charge for travel and we also get a deposit.
It is business.

Who wouldn't drive 2 hrs 15 minutes for a goat?
You are doing him a favor by meeting him.

-------------------------------------
On a side note-But related- last week I got a call from the people that are leasing my Kikos. A man was there and wanted to buy one of my bucks.
(One of the young bucklings was up for sale but when the guy got there he really wanted one of the mature bucks)
Talked for a bit.
He wanted me to come down on my price.
I said no.
He said he didn't care about the papers.
He also didn't care about the fact they were all tested CAE, CL, Johnes negative,

I told him, it has no baring on me what you care about or not... the fact is I pay for all those things, spend a lot of money on raising and keeping a healthy herd and can sell him to a good breeding program that wants to use his genetics for the price I am asking so why would I lowball him for you? Not happening.
I did agree to take $50 off because the paperwork is a hassle and the hair needed to be pulled too.
Told him price was cash only.

5 minutes later phone rings, the lady who is leasing said the guy wants to write a check.
I said nope cash only- and there is a ATM machine 5 minutes from you he can get cash if he wants the animal. (I knew he had some cash on him)

5 minutes after that
Call from the lady- The guy apparently made a big stink and said he was "offended" that I wouldn't take a check and he is in thhe cattle work and people take checks for thousands of dollars and blah blah blah... she told him, "well we don't know you and you can't be too careful these days." The guy went on and on and right on out of the driveway! :lol:

My DH said she should have said
Offended?
If we knew each other and I still wouldn't take your check- then you could be offended :lol:

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
My DH said she should have said
Offended?
If we knew each other and I still wouldn't take your check- then you could be offended
I don't take checks or write them for livestock except at a commisioned sale and even then, there have been some sales that bounced checks. Hasn't happened to me yet but some barns get behind somehow and their paper is no good.

I did take a cashier's check to buy a group of heifers a few years ago from an individual, but we agreed on it because he uses the same bank I do and he checked with the girls at the bank that know both of us.

As far as what the other guy 'cared about'.....he should have found a seller that had animals for sale that weren't managed as good. Probably worked out for the best. That kind would be the first to whine if something went wrong with the buck a few weeks or months down the road...reminds me of the dead pig thing in one of the other threads...