Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't take checks or write them for livestock except at a commisioned sale and even then, there have been some sales that bounced checks. Hasn't happened to me yet but some barns get behind somehow and their paper is no good.

I did take a cashier's check to buy a group of heifers a few years ago from an individual, but we agreed on it because he uses the same bank I do and he checked with the girls at the bank that know both of us.

As far as what the other guy 'cared about'.....he should have found a seller that had animals for sale that weren't managed as good. Probably worked out for the best. That kind would be the first to whine if something went wrong with the buck a few weeks or months down the road...reminds me of the dead pig thing in one of the other threads...

He was absolutely trying to scam. The young buckling was substantially less $ because he was unproven, 7 months old and I wasn't going to fiddle with the registration... No one takes checks for livestock from strangers...

Yeah he also tried to tell me the older buck, was older than what I said. I told him I know when my animals kid, had exact Bday.
Yeah, I usually don't bother with people that have no value for healthy tested animals.
Go buy some diseased mess at the sale barn.
Especially being negative for Johnes, wouldn't a cattleman want to know that. :rolleyes:

Yeah I saw that pig post- no body no necropsy no refund. Their dog probably attacked it.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Go buy some diseased mess at the sale barn.
Especially being negative for Johnes, wouldn't a cattleman want to know that.

Sure, and a good cattleman will write on the drop off ticket whether the animal(s) have been vaccinated, bred, dob, etc. Establish a good rep as a good manager and the buyers and auctioneer will know you sell good stock and you'll get a premium price above the average. If I drop a problem cull off, I write across the ticket--TO KILL PEN to keep one of the local 'back to farm' buyers from thinking it might be a good addition to his herd.
Having said that tho, the axiom of sale barn buying is and always has been 'buyer beware'. What you see is not always what you get, and "Buy from a reputable breeder' has no substitute, whether livestock, or guard dogs.

(I have occasionally taken a chance on some from the kill pen before. sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Sometimes, it isn't the animal's fault but simply mismanagement by the previous owner..it's really a crap shoot tho and I don't recommend it for a novice buyer)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mike CHS I know I would like to take her in but we have sheep and goats. I could keep here in the workshop with the poultry though i dunno how she would take the pigs being in there.

@Southern by choice would it be feasible she could be trained to guard sheep/goats? I know you do not know her exact problem, but I do know you have trained a lot. I just dont want to see her end up in a shelter.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You (they) lost me at "neutered female guardian"

I know i saw that too and went ermmm....wha....another reason i feel bad for her. Maybe she is a good guardian for all stock but prefers poultry and they simply dont know how to train her? No idea. i'm debating if i should email them and ask what her problem with sheep is or not.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Of course not knowing or seeing the dog but more than likely she can be. It does take time, patience effort.... and if she has "issues" ...skill.
The fact that you have goats may very well help the situation. Many dogs are not good with sheep but are great with goats.
There was no picture... is she solid Pyr?

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is no number only an email option. I believe she is full pyr all the info i have is that ad. I did email them and tell them our situation so shall see if they reply.

We do plan on getting back into poultry fairly heavily and a guardian for them would not be a bad idea after we saw our 120+birds get widdled down to a couple dozen last year. I'm mostly concerned with the fact that she would see the sheep and goats and pigs thru the fences, i am not sure how bad her problem is. Would she jump a fence to attack a sheep, i dunno.

Our plan atm is to build several pastures and rotate the goat/sheep/llama in first then the poultry then the pigs and they would follow that pattern so she would only be separated from the goats/sheep and pigs by one fence.

Have to wait until they give a reply, if they do. I'm mostly interested because i dont want to see her in a shelter and she is a reasonable distance away, typically Pyr's are at least 3.5hrs from us and $600-800 per puppy, no guarantee on quality, no livestock experience, no support after purchase, etc.

There was a lady that was breeding Pyrs and raising them in her house in the country on 1 acre of land, no livestock but selling them as livestock dogs and charging a premium because they had livestock experience(she owned 6 chickens). The county eventually shut her down for running a kennel without a permit on not enough land.

The laws here are kind of odd. If you have 2 acres you allowed 4 dogs, for every dog over 4 you must have 1 more acre unless you have 20 acres or more and then they dont care i guess. If you want more dogs without following those guidelines you need a kennel permit.