Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score

Well DH and i lived for 8 months without running water(hot running water for 10 months) when i first met him....so quite awhile. Problem is foster care requires hot/cold running water. Atm we still have hot water the tank is just leaking all over the basement floor.

I found a link that has quite a few companies listed, then I couldn't add anything else to the post. Some I think are even cheaper than $500 a year. I don't know if there is a waiting time before you can use it, but it might be worth looking into. It could save you some money. Maybe-maybe not.

Your post reminded me of that old show Hee-Haw and the song;

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me

It's about time that ya'll caught a break, and I don't mean a break down!

Kinda what it feels like lately. Things will get better....summer is coming!!!!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We don't carry one on after the initial period is over, but for the first year in the house it does give some peace of mind....here the seller usually pays the fee....so, it doesn't cost the buyer to have the protection.....:)

It makes sense I just never heard of it before. Here I think most sellers would refuse an offer with a required warranty attached to it esp if they had to pay for it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have bought warranties for the last three houses that I've sold and it seemed to be a major positive for the buyers. The cost was relatively small for the value to them.

I think that probly has to do with a different market. Here most of all sales are under 100k, typical is 40-70k mark. Thou prices are coming up and i am noticing more and more places going over the 100k mark. I mean look at our place 12 acres, 1600sqft 3 bd 1ba for 64k or the place before it we were looking at 10 acres, 3bd,1ba for 54k...since then prices have come up to about about 70k for 5 acres 3bd 2ba nice updated place or 90k for 12 acres 3bd 2ba. Everyone says we are going to have another recession in 2yrs so shall see how that goes.

I'm looking at some warranty companies but i think the cost is going to be pretty high like 2k a year to get the well pump added because from what i've seen that is another package which doesnt include the furnace/hot water heater. DH did look further into the furnace and thinks we might be able to just get a new relay and get it going again.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Land prices have exploded here. The school district is highly desirable and it is driving prices to the absurd. Land prices when we bought our place were around $5,000 to $8,000. Now prices have soared to the $12,000 to $15,000 per acre. Just in our neighborhood, there is a 25 acre tract that is priced over $12K per acre and right down the street is 3.7 acres that is over $15K per acre. Insane.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've never heard of a home warranty either.
Sorry every thing is going at once but you won't have to worry about them again for a long time after they are replaced. New well pump will likely be over a grand based on what the well company told me a couple of years ago when one of the wires at the top of the casing decided to arc. Fortunately they were able to fix it but given the well was drilled in '79 I figured it is only a matter of time and best to at least have an idea what it was going to cost when the time comes.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Land prices have exploded here. The school district is highly desirable and it is driving prices to the absurd. Land prices when we bought our place were around $5,000 to $8,000. Now prices have soared to the $12,000 to $15,000 per acre. Just in our neighborhood, there is a 25 acre tract that is priced over $12K per acre and right down the street is 3.7 acres that is over $15K per acre. Insane.

Prices all over seem to be going up pretty fast.

I've never heard of a home warranty either.
Sorry every thing is going at once but you won't have to worry about them again for a long time after they are replaced. New well pump will likely be over a grand based on what the well company told me a couple of years ago when one of the wires at the top of the casing decided to arc. Fortunately they were able to fix it but given the well was drilled in '79 I figured it is only a matter of time and best to at least have an idea what it was going to cost when the time comes.

I'm really hoping it is just the little pump in the basement with issues not the one in the well. A new jet pump ia a couple hundred so I can live with that.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yesterday was gorgeous here, it was 70F and sunny:weee:celebrate

Last night DH and I got the other new stall finished. So today we "should" be making two gates and hanging them and then we can put the goats in their pen. The Sheep are already in the other pen and have been for a week with a make-shift gate.

310 needs to go back outside since her ram lamb is gone now and she likes to be with her sister 308. The other two ewes will go back to the outside as soon as the white lamb is ready to wean. I think her mom has already kicked her off but i'm not sure, she will be 8 weeks old on the 1st.

Bottle lambs are doing good, they were moved to a pen in the garage because we were still having cold weather and snow. Duke will be 8 weeks old on friday and the black bottle lamb will be 8 weeks old on May 20th. Charlotte is almost 12 weeks old and it looks like Ivy has kicked her off.

We also decided after all the losses and poor performance to switch feed mills. The new mill is about three times as far away(remember the old one was 4miles lol) however we had suspicions about our feed after talking to other area producers and looking at our stock. We also kept seeing over-cooked shell corn...like on a regular basis.

Livestock has been on the new grain for a week now and there is already a noticeable difference in Ivy's milk production, so much so I had to milk a quart out of her night before last so she didnt rupture. I think she decided to let Charlotte nurse a little longer to try to keep her milk down. Phoebe has started shedding off her winter coat(might just be timing there). Time will tell if it truly makes a noticeable difference or not.

I know we have been feeding both pregnant sows 10-15lbs each a day of pig & sow and another 5-10lbs of shell corn a day. Thats 15-25lbs of feed each a day and they were not gaining weight at all. Normal maintenance feed we used to do was 3-4lbs shell corn and 2-3lbs pig & sow but since not long after our mill got bought out we have had to constantly up the feed amounts just to try to maintain weight, which it didnt. I think the new mill owners changes how they make the feed and producers are noticing, i think they are making the feed cheaper and they keep raising the prices. We were paying $9/100 for shell corn that was good shell corn, now the burned/overcooked shell corn is $10.50/100. Pig & Sow went from $12.50/100 to $16.50/100.

So far the new feed looks better, at least the shell corn isn't burned/overcooked at all. So we shall see how it does. Prices are also cheaper which is a nice bonus. Our young livestock seem to take a long time to grow and look like heck while they do. We have all the deaths we can't explain. All the stock looks/feels thin or down right to skinny despite worming, loose minerals, quality hay, daily grain, fresh water, being treated for cocci, goats have copper bolus, etc.....really no reason for poor weight we can see/find. Hopefully it helps fix the growth problems. The feed mill was bought out right after we moved to the new farm, so pretty much our entire time at the new farm has been on the "new" mill feed.

Latest posts