Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
You answered your own question.
"It's Arkansas..the land where people don't wear shoes..where people when the Westward expansion was in full swing, came upon signs that said "Texas and Oklahoma--due West 5 miles ahead". Them that could read kept traveling in a Westerly direction.... them that couldn't read, turned back and settled Arkansas.
The Land of Opportunity...as soon as an opportunity presents itself, the people move elsewhere."

(That's what my now deceased brother, a 25 year Arkansas resident told me anyway)

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You answered your own question.
"It's Arkansas..the land where people don't wear shoes..where people when the Westward expansion was in full swing, came upon signs that said "Texas and Oklahoma--due West 5 miles ahead". Them that could read kept traveling in a Westerly direction.... them that couldn't read, turned back and settled Arkansas.
The Land of Opportunity...as soon as an opportunity presents itself, the people move elsewhere."

(That's what my now deceased brother, a 25 year Arkansas resident told me anyway)

I see..... i think....

There are not a lot of good jobs in Arkansas.
If/when we moved there we wouldnt need to worry about jobs locally :D =D

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Busy weekend for us.

I worked saturday, then after work went home and started deep cleaning the house, it so needed it. DH moved pigs around and then a combination of friends, a guy who owed some labor, DH and our foster kid all cleaned and washed the barn floor.

Sunday I did more house work and caught up on getting bedding washed. Then DH, Our friend Kevin and our Foster kid killed, skinned and cut up Laverne to fit in kevins fridge. She will chill for 3 days then finish being processed.

Our hereford girl is going to have piglets any time now. Sara's piglets are doing good and are now weaned off and in their own pen

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would enjoy Arkansas, it is a beautiful state. Mostly rural, there is a lot of farm and ranch land, mountainous in places, forest lands, plenty of water. There are good jobs in the big cities and towns, but not much in the rural areas. Mississippi is also a very rural state with land there being affordable. Mississippi and Alabama extend to the Gulf of Mexico on the southern end to hills on the northern end. Northern Alabama is beautiful country, my husband was born and raised there, but left as a young man because of job opportunities for Texas. If you don't have to worry about local jobs, then you can pick and choose where you want to live, and get the most bang for your buck.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You would enjoy Arkansas, it is a beautiful state. Mostly rural, there is a lot of farm and ranch land, mountainous in places, forest lands, plenty of water. There are good jobs in the big cities and towns, but not much in the rural areas. Mississippi is also a very rural state with land there being affordable. Mississippi and Alabama extend to the Gulf of Mexico on the southern end to hills on the northern end. Northern Alabama is beautiful country, my husband was born and raised there, but left as a young man because of job opportunities for Texas. If you don't have to worry about local jobs, then you can pick and choose where you want to live, and get the most bang for your buck.

I did live in Florence Alabama for about a year, i didnt like it much. Went to Mississippi a lot to visit the then boyfriends family. They have nice country side for sure but most of the people weren't to nice.
I'm thinking maybe mountains or something....I want a view!!! If you have ever been to eastern Michigan you know it is flat flat flat and full of trees trees trees. I've always hated that, always feeling closed in because of all the trees and flatness. When i was out west in in wyoming, the dakotas, etc the open space feeling is something I loved...that and the Salt Flats in Nevada....on a motorcycle. I really felt like I could have stayed out west forever but I was only passing thru.

Something like this would be amazing....of course not this place itself because look at that stinkin price tag and it has no pasture. The view is amazing, i dont need something quite that grand for a view but being able to see for a distance would be really nice. DH also likes the idea of first the view and second part of his family is mountain folks so he likes the idea of moving down there. DH also may take a job in texas and Arkansas is a lot closer to texas then michigan.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3390-Greers-Ferry-Rd-Greers-Ferry-AR-72067/90748778_zpid/

Anyhow we shall see what life brings us.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Butcher Pics - Fair Warning
Also......A pic of cute piglets.....followed by butcher pictures of laverne...
IMG952019062995212430.jpg

This is Laverne being skinned....that's our friend Kevin who has our goats and sheep atm. She was the infertile pig chester white cross pig we had.
IMG952019063095181147.jpg

Kevin is only about 5'5" or 5'6" but that gives you some reference.

Then here are parts of Laverne....Thats one side and thats a really BIG cooler.
IMG952019063095190732.jpg

The cooler was used to take her up to the garage fridge at kevins, to chill. So on July 4th we are having fresh ribs and we are going to finished processing her. I'm hoping to make bacon as I have a belly from another pig and a hind leg for ham waiting in the freezer. Get it all cured then put it all on the smoker with some applewood. She is mostly getting made into roast and ground because she is older...so lots of sausage too. DH saved liver(not for me), heart and tongue as well. He wants to make liverwurst because we only have one package left. Not sure what his plans on for the heart and tongue, i've made venison heart we shall see.

Last edited:

Latest posts