1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hoof trimming help - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Misfitmorgan's Journal -Summer Finally Showed Up

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by misfitmorgan, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Jul 17, 2019
    JHP Homestead

JHP Homestead Loving the herd life

2. Jul 17, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

That sucks about the bacon. Chopped bacon sandwich, anyone? :hit If you get a slicer, get a good one. A neighbor has one that he bought when we slaughtered hogs and it is a small cheap one. It gets the job done, but the carriage is too short. @JHP Homestead I can get longish strips, but I roll the bacon slab up and unroll as I slice. PIA, but it works-sorta.

3. Jul 17, 2019
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Herd Master

I was looking at something like this to start off
    https://www.amazon.com/F2C-Electric...s=meat+slicer&qid=1563385102&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Then maybe later get something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/Best-Choice-...=meat+slicer&qid=1563385270&s=gateway&sr=8-52

I dunno what I am going to do with the bacon...maybe make some bacon jam. I already had trimmed up the bacon ends to square it up before it went to be sliced so I have about 2lbs of cubed up bacon already :lol:

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  4. Jul 17, 2019
    Bruce

Bruce Herd Master

The second one looks like the kind they use at the deli. Not sure I'd expect much from the first one either in quality or longevity. Likely not the best $38 you'll ever spend.

CntryBoy777 likes this.
  5. Jul 17, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

Buy the better one, buy it once. I have bought cheap before and regretted it. But sometimes, cheap was the best I could do. Sometimes, I was so darn proud of a cheap item and I used it and loved it.

RollingAcres and CntryBoy777 like this.
  6. Jul 17, 2019
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

Shoot, I'd pick out the best of it for pcs....I'd still fry the other a batch at a time and top taters, salads, beans, or make a sandwich with.....course, with it being in pcs means ya need more for a sandwich....and ya can get a bite and not drag the whole strip out with the first bite....:lol:.....and this comes from a man without dentures or teeth....yep, still eat em....:)

RollingAcres likes this.
  7. Jul 17, 2019
    farmerjan

farmerjan Herd Master

If he owns a store with a deli slicer he should have some common sense on what a slice of bacon should look like. BUT, one thing.....Did he know enough to get it VERY COLD to slice? If not, then I can see lots of "pieces" and short partial slices as he tried to get it to slice. Might not have known to chill almost to the point of freezing. We take it as just common sense or acquired knowledge.... but it is alot different to slice deli meats, in a "casing" as opposed to bacon that may not be cold enough .... just a thought. And he might have been working it from the " shorter side" which could account for it not looking like traditional slices of bacon. Handling it might have been a problem for him. If you cut bacon in half, you can get shorter length slices that still look like a bacon slices, but will fit on a slicer better....

Bruce, CntryBoy777 and RollingAcres like this.
  8. Jul 18, 2019
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Herd Master

Reviews are pretty good on that first one and we know a guy locally who has sliced about 200lbs of meat on one...not ideal but it has worked. I would love to just buy the big one but budget says if i am getting one to start off it will be the cheap one.

That's pretty much my plan.

We had it chilled down to 32F for him and he put in the walk-in for a few hours. I was hand cutting some of it without issues so that should not have been a problem. The slices are cleanly cut, its just like he didnt know what way the short grain was and just grabbed the slabs and started slicing and checked at some point and switched the slab around. It's not like he cut it in half, its like he did i dunno what. I will try to get pictures it truley looks like ends and pieces boxes you get though ans we sent some nice bacon slabs.

RollingAcres, CntryBoy777 and Baymule like this.
  9. Jul 18, 2019
    misfitmorgan

misfitmorgan Herd Master

This is the bacon directly off the smoker. It was soaked/washed for 30 minutes then put in the fridge to chill over night.
    0714191919a.jpg

These are the areas I cut off right before it got taken to him to slice. The cut off areas were cubed up for seasoning things. That chunk with the scribbles was a off cut from when i was putting everything into cure so it got chopped up too. square cut.jpg

10. Jul 18, 2019
    Baymule

Baymule Herd Master

That is some beautiful slabs of bacon!

CntryBoy777 and misfitmorgan like this.