Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Might also mention my car is currently at 256,000 miles with zero suspension left and a host of other issues. It needs replaced before ice comes. DH's truck needs new spider gears and all 3 u-joints in the driveshaft. So fencing is not on the top of the list.

I drove old cars for most of my life. I was the Queen of Junkers and Clunkers. I am darn good at dragging a crapped out car with another car, joined by a chain. I am equally adept at being dragged by a chain, keeping the chain taunt, applying the brakes and making turns. There is an art to it. I've had cars that my mechanic said not to drive any further out of town than I want a wrecker to drag it back. If it was 20 years old with over 100,000 miles on it, it was MINE! :) I am real good at breaking down. I've had lots of practice.

So I know where you are coming from. 256,000 miles is just about graveyard dead. I believe you have gotten all the good out of that one. That's a Clanking Clunker! Time for a new or new-to-you car. You have to deal with snow and ice, so you must have a safe car. Your safety and just being able to get to work on time or even get to work at all, does come before rolls of fence wire and fence posts. So go shopping, find what works for you and what y'all can afford. It's a juggling act. :thumbsup

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid i have more not good news to share with you all. My step-father(as in my mothers husband) died on saturday. We have yet to find a will and as non-biological children of my step-dad it looks like we may be cut out of inheriting anything from out mom or step-dad since my mom died first. We have not even had the funeral yet and his oldest biological child has already told us all about 12 times well we have to go by the law....aka you and your sister will be getting nothing despite him being your dad since you were 4yrs old and despote it being your mothers home and belonging for 30+yrs. Everyone please pray for us that his all works out and thing dont get nasty.

The only bright side of this wreck so far is our brother(step-dad's bio son) says no in hell is he letting her cut us out of things and if he has to he will split whatever he gets 3 ways. She has already tried some shady things to get herself as executor of the estate despite having shunned her father and all of us almost 100% for the past 25yrs.

We also can not go see if there is a will on file with the county until the death certificate is signed which she is making us wait until one of them get into town from our of state the 26th. :he:he

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There is one in every family. Greed. Pure greed. Feel pity for her, she is a miserable, empty wretch.

I will pray for you and your family that this can be handled without drama, anger and the despicable things that ugly, wretched people do.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that we found out with dad's death was that in Mississippi a spouse that survives another is only "entitled to half of the combined assets at the time of death....not all....so, if your mom's estate was not settled, then half of the combined at TOD is to go to surving children....it may benefit ya to check into that and would negate total control of it all that she may be trying to....which, in turn, would leave her out of at least half.....this was going to be a portion of our fight, but I got so fed up I pulled the plug on the whole mess....sure hope it turns out for ya and things can be worked out, but expect a "battle" cause many can't handle being "in control" and lose all contact with "common sense".....:hugs

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What I found says that step-children do not automatically get a share. I wonder if "automatically" means that while not a direct guarantee, it isn't a "never" either. I wonder if you can prove that you and your sister were directly in his life since the age of 4 and that she had nothing to do with him for the last 25 years the judge can make a decision that you and your sister will receive a share. Good luck, I feel for you and am sorry you got a wicked step-sister.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Something that we found out with dad's death was that in Mississippi a spouse that survives another is only "entitled to half of the combined assets at the time of death....not all....so, if your mom's estate was not settled, then half of the combined at TOD is to go to surving children....it may benefit ya to check into that and would negate total control of it all that she may be trying to....which, in turn, would leave her out of at least half.....this was going to be a portion of our fight, but I got so fed up I pulled the plug on the whole mess....sure hope it turns out for ya and things can be worked out, but expect a "battle" cause many can't handle being "in control" and lose all contact with "common sense".....:hugs

I brought that up to his bio daughter and her response was that would all be part of dads estate since he survived her so you still wouldnt be included.

What I found says that step-children do not automatically get a share. I wonder if "automatically" means that while not a direct guarantee, it isn't a "never" either. I wonder if you can prove that you and your sister were directly in his life since the age of 4 and that she had nothing to do with him for the last 25 years the judge can make a decision that you and your sister will receive a share. Good luck, I feel for you and am sorry you got a wicked step-sister.

The law I found says step-children are not heirs even if raised from infancy and have no legal right to inherit anything from the estate without a will stating otherwise.

Pretty sure this will be a battle and we will need a lawyer.

Senile_Texas_Aggie

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gosh, Miss @misfitmorgan, it seems like it is one bad thing after another for you! I am so sorry for your loss, and now having to deal with a trouble making relative on top of that. Life is so unfair at times. It seems like the good folks get screwed while the bad ones get blessed. I know that isn't always true, but it seems to be too often. I hope you have the courage and strength to keep going, just like the quote after my signature says. We will all be keeping you in our thoughts, and we are here if you need a virtual shoulder to cry on. :hugs

Senile Texas Aggie

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
One thing, even if you cannot go see if a will is on file until the death certificate is filed, who was the last known lawyer that your mom may have had contact with? Find out if there are any provisions from years ago about the family homeplace since he was not her husband and biological father of you and your sister. There might be some legal maneuvering there. I would definitely ask any lawyer that may have helped deal with your mom's passing, and since you were in contact with your step dad, if he has a will on file. No you don't have to see it, don't do anything against the law, but just find out if the lawyer has a will. I am not versed on the will situation and having to be on file with the county, I don't think mine is on file anywhere except the lawyer's office. I only have one son, so it is not a big deal.... but maybe if they had used a lawyer that you are aware of, you might want to make them aware of his passing and ask if there is any legal papers that the lawyer may be holding. Then when the death certificate is signed and filed, you will already have a little foot in the door with a local lawyer that you know and who may have been your mom's and then your step-father's advisor. Can't hurt at this point.

My sympathies for you and your sister's loss. A step dad from that early age is a DAD and if you all got along and with a step brother in the mix, it sounds like the step sister is the "wicked step sister" deal.