Misfitmorgan's Journal - That Summer Dust

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We should be neighbors.
Wouldn't that be nice!!

My sister now wants me to move to ohio, cause for now it looks like she is living there. I helped her move over the weekend so she can sell her house here, part of the divorce. They have been remodeling the place for almost 4 years now, and she asked me to finish it so she can sell. Countertops, kitchen sink, tile backsplash, fix dings in the drywall, touch-up paint, new vanity in 2 bathrooms, paint the bedroom doors, lay new flooring in one bathroom, install a new light and extraction fan, rip out and replace an old bathroom mirror and light combo. Quite the list but it means the entire house will be re-modeled save one bathroom. Finishing it means she can likely sell for over 150k, she bought it 4yrs ago for 74k. It is a 6 bedroom, 3.5 bath house all one level with a 2 car garage on a double lot in the town over, on an expensive street, that is entirely remodeled except one bedroom. She is going to pay me to do the work, but it is a lot to fit in to our already busy spring schedule.

We have to shear sheep, de-worm livestock that need it, trim hooves, ear tags lambs, build the turkey fence, build the chicken fence and coop, build 2 more pastures, build 1 or 2 hoop houses for other people, sell our lambs and extra buck kid, put in our garden, bottle Jupiter 3 times a day, swap tires and do an oil change on our new tractor, build a new deck/landing for our 2-story as it partly collapsed about 3 weeks ago, plus work 40hrs/week each. Very soon we will have to start hay as well!

If the weather stays the way it is now, we will be doing first cut in 3 weeks or so. Which is a good thing but this year it is going to be hectic. We also still have about 100 small squares from last year in the top of our 2-story.

We also need to try to plan in getting the roof on our house re-shingled and a new front deck built. The previous owner build both the 2-story deck and our front deck out of rough sawn lumber......you can imagine how well that held up. Once again the house remodeling for our house is on the back burner and not moving any time soon.

DH did say if we could sell our place and buy a place fenced in with about 20 acres and be free and clear on it he would move anyplace I wanted. So there is hope there. If the market stays the way it is here we could easily get $120k+ for our house when it is done....when there will be time to get it done...who knows.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s not a full plate, that’s the whole cafeteria line! Quite the list you’ve got there. I was out of work once in my early twenties and finally went to the employment office to see what they had. There was a guy in there looking for help roofing houses. I took the job, didn’t know a thing about roofing but I sure got an education. I thought I had been hot in my life, I found out real fast what soaked to my knees by 8 AM was all about. All summer long, in east Texas, first week I thought I’d die. LOL LOL But I have used that knowledge several to tear off and reroof my house, saving thousands of dollars. There’s another reason we should be neighbors!

Good luck on finding a house, 20 acres all fenced for $120,000. Prices here have gone crazy and from what I understand, it’s like that in many places. If you get serious, look at HUD repos or tax seizures. Ours was a HUD repo, we won the bid. Securing finance and dealing with a government entity was one of the worst experiences of my life. It ain’t for the faint hearted, but we sure got a nice place way under market and now it’s worth 4-5 times what we paid for it. Once we bought this place and sold our old house, we paid this one off.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That’s not a full plate, that’s the whole cafeteria line! Quite the list you’ve got there. I was out of work once in my early twenties and finally went to the employment office to see what they had. There was a guy in there looking for help roofing houses. I took the job, didn’t know a thing about roofing but I sure got an education. I thought I had been hot in my life, I found out real fast what soaked to my knees by 8 AM was all about. All summer long, in east Texas, first week I thought I’d die. LOL LOL But I have used that knowledge several to tear off and reroof my house, saving thousands of dollars. There’s another reason we should be neighbors!

Good luck on finding a house, 20 acres all fenced for $120,000. Prices here have gone crazy and from what I understand, it’s like that in many places. If you get serious, look at HUD repos or tax seizures. Ours was a HUD repo, we won the bid. Securing finance and dealing with a government entity was one of the worst experiences of my life. It ain’t for the faint hearted, but we sure got a nice place way under market and now it’s worth 4-5 times what we paid for it. Once we bought this place and sold our old house, we paid this one off.

We could do the roof ourselves...but when I have no idea. The garage leaked all last year and the porch started leaking last spring. IT needs to get done and seems like we have no time to do it. Also tear off is going to suck because both roofs are 3 layers thick.....which is illegal here. We also know we need to replace at least two chunks of sheeting.

Thats sort of the problem, the value of our house has doubled but so has everyone elses. If/when it is re-modeled, the pastures are done and the barns are done....it would go for over 150k easy....just the time it takes to do all that and once its done you kind of dont want to leave. If it wasnt for winter I would be very happy staying in our house forever.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We also noticed rain rolling in last night so we hurried up and seeded the lanes that will be between our pastures and a good portion of the new pasture. Think I posted what I remembered our pasture mix being the other day but here is it from the tag, most to least
Timothy, orchard grass, ryegrass, bluegrass, duo festulolium, alfalfa, red clover, and giant white clover. We also seeded down buckwheat, hopefully between the ryegrass, festulolium and buckwheat it will grow fast and establish well.
Basically because we do not have time or land to give the pasture a year to establish we are planning to seed everything. Keep the livestock in only a few pastures while the lanes and other areas can mature, then switch next year and likely have to re-seed again but we shall see. ATM just the goats are in the pasture and they are still working over the trees and bushes, have not touched the existing grass or white clover.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know how you do those winters! Not me! I’ll take the heat, that’s why there are air conditioners. LOL

Trying to get pasture established here, I know how hard it is. Hope it all comes up and grows well for you.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t know how you do those winters! Not me! I’ll take the heat, that’s why there are air conditioners. LOL

Trying to get pasture established here, I know how hard it is. Hope it all comes up and grows well for you.

When you are a kid winter with snow is awesome.....as you become an adult it gets to be blah.....as you get older as an adult it gets to be literally painful hence why the "snowbirds" go south for winter. I'm hoping to move south permanently before I turn 45, gives me 8 years but you never know what life will bring. I mean if I win the lotto or something I will be moving a lot sooner :lol:

I still dont know where to move though, I love Tennessee, my sister now lives in middle Ohio, DH has family in Texas but he doesnt really get along with most of them and they live by Austin which I dont have a desire to be anyplace close too. Then also DH's work has a branch in Lousiana and South Carolina...so smh.

On a side note.....again....DH is currently trying to buy a sandblasting/painting business. If he does our moving would not be dependent on either of our current jobs.

Basically DH had a really good friend named Jimmy, known him for 10+yrs. DH is the only person other then family Jimmy ever invited into his house, and the only person at all Jimmy ever let work with him. IT's saying a lot because Jimmy has been running the painting and sandblasting business here locally for over 30yrs, he has lived here his entire life. Well sadly a month and half ago Jimmy had a lights out heart attack while in the car with his son, daughter-in-law and his wife of 37yrs. I should also mention DH's Boss is Jimmy's son Kyle. So when all this happened a couple days later Kyle called DH to please come help him with his dad(jimmys) stuff because DH was the only one that knew what was going on with it since he was working on it with Jimmy.

This is my long long winded way of trying to say Kyle and Jimmy's wife want DH to take over the sandblasting/painting business when they are emotionally ready for it. So DH has agreed to buy it, the it being the equipment as there is currently no shop location, Jimmy worked from his house after selling the shop location a year ago. Jimmy was well known and loved by many many people as a result his shop he opened on the main drag 3-4yrs ago had a lot of drop in's of people to BS with him. He said he couldnt get anything done and when he got a good offer on the building from the business next door he sold it.

There is no lack of business in this area for sandblasting/painting, thats why DH was helping Jimmy because he couldnt keep up and has been turning down work for years. Even with turning down work the business was making about 80k/yr as a one man operation, so it would enable us to run the business and quit both of our jobs, atm both DH and I make 88k/yr combined. DH would do the work, I would help were I could and do the office/billing stuff as well as be able to focus more on the farm and going to commercial production with our sheep and maybe the goats. As mentioned you never know what life has in store, so we shall see. It is possible they wont be ready to sell for years and by then the customers Jimmy had could find other places to go or someone else might open their own shop. 2 days after Jimmy's death they had many people stopping and trying to buy things, the family rightly told them to get lost.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That would be a portable business, that is needed everywhere. I take it that the equipment at new prices is high and there would be a substantial difference in price for Jimmy’s equipment.

It’s nice to be near family but not if you don’t get along with them. Your sister in Ohio, doesn’t it get cold and snowy there too? My advice, go where you will be happy.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
That would be a portable business, that is needed everywhere. I take it that the equipment at new prices is high and there would be a substantial difference in price for Jimmy’s equipment.

It’s nice to be near family but not if you don’t get along with them. Your sister in Ohio, doesn’t it get cold and snowy there too? My advice, go where you will be happy.

Yes and no..DH is likely going to buy the bare minimum he needs to get started because two people already asked him to do work and everytime we see him they ask again. Since we now know it will be probly next year before they are ready to sell we willl likely go that route. For the set-up Jimmy had which is literally portable as it is all on a big trailer, to buy new would be $25,000 on the low end and thats not including the backups/duplicates of things he has like he has 7 paint pots, a back up blasting medium pot etc. We believe the purchase price will be around 10k for his set-up as that is about what the main bits are worth used. If every single peiece and part was figured in you could probly get it up a few more thousand but Jimmy's family are not the type for that, they would much rather it all went to one person and one person Jimmy trusted.

In the meanwhile if DH can find the bare minimum stuff used it will be around 5k, if he has to get it new it is around 8k. This would be like the very littler brother to Jimmy's kit and nothing you would want to use long term but will be good for back up or if you have a helper for a day or something like that.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We looked at these setups a while back:

Those look nice! Probly really pricey I bet

That's basically what Jimmy has but his own homemade version with a clemko pot and large compressor and I dont know what all else. I do know his pot is big enough you can sandblast non-stop for several hours. The pot at DHs work he can sandblast non-stop for his 5hr work day before lunch, fill it then do the 5hrs after lunch and DH says Jimmy's is bigger.....whatever that means.