Misfitmorgan's - Babies 2020

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Honestly I thought it was a couple of panels of a silo that had been taken down. I'm surprised the wind hasn't flattened it over above the roof line. Would love to see more pictures of that 2 story barn inside and out.

Not silo panels at all just old school thick gauge galvanized tin panels....they are way more sturdy then the new stuff. The pattern on them is because thy came off a roof of an old building, sadly we only have like 3 of those panels.

What a great find on this house. Barns already in place, a shop, count your blessings!
What Bay said! Those are some awesome looking outbuildings.

I agree it was a good find on the buildings, the place really is a nice place and with some upkeep in the orchard and the gardens outside.....as well as some other things i would love to do, it will be a really nice show place.

So yesterday....i went out to see the livestock. I was taking pictures and wouldnt you know my phone died right after i got one blurry picture of the lamb....i was not pleased.
20180116_173814.jpg

He is a black lamb with a black coat at dusk so it is what it is.

The lamb was not acting right he was very cold and his little ears now have frostbite damage/swelling. He was standing uncomfortable looking. So i picked him up and he was just sitting there, no crying, no looking around, nothing. I was holding him up in my arms and THEN he started shaking after a minute or two. If anyone knows anything about cold, it is that when you lose the ability to shake its not good. We ended up moving his mother(verified it is 310) and her sister 308 along with the lamb into the shop where it is warmer. They are atm blocked off between the pig stalls so the lamb gets the pigs warmth too.

308 does not yet have an udder, what i thought was an udder was wool. That's why it is best to get your hands on sheep, so hard to tell sometimes with them. I believe 308 will have her lamb in about 2.5 weeks at the earliest. In fact i believe the next window for any lambs is 2.5 weeks from now which would be about Feb 3rd. The good news is it suppose to be at least 15-25F warmer then when this ram was born.

The Polypay looks pretty heavily bred, you can see she looks pretty dang round even with the bad picture.
20180116_174036.jpg

Sweetie is looking pretty round, she is our only sheep without a docked tail and is my avatar pic.
20180116_173800.jpg
20180116_173820.jpg

They all kept coming up to check if i had more grain or not. 310 is not in this picture, that is actually who 308 is watching behind me.

294 may or may not be bred, i think if she is bred she will have a lamb late around march perhaps. Rut went pretty late this year so any of the sheep could wait until the end of may to give us lambs.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed that the heavily wooled sheep come into contact with the electric fence and do nothing? Like they don't even feel it with all that wool? Just curious.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes i have noticed. They do stay in the fence though because they can still feel it on their face/legs. A few of the goats jump/walk over the fence. Normally they respect it but the net is grounding out now thanks to our new snow dump even after we raised the fence. To be fair the electric net is ment for 3 season use in any place with snow during winter so it is performing as it should still, just not ment ot be buried in snow.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
You just got there, so you haven't had time to build the fence lots you want. It will come in good time. Like what already has been said, you bought your farm at a young age and you will have the time and energy to make it your own. Money....it seems to dribble in a little at a time. :lol:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very true Bay, the waiting is hard. Spring will be here soon enough though and then the major work starts. :weee

Last edited:

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I got some lambs pictures. If i wasnt sick and run down i probly would have thought to get you some hereford pics Bay! I was literally leaning on their pen.:th

20180117_180545.jpg
20180117_180532.jpg

This is 308
20180117_180617.jpg

This is 310
20180117_180625.jpg

Not the best pics but it will have to do for now. The lamb was a lot more lively and talking. His poor ears are sore but not much i can do about it. It is definitely staying warmer where they are now, their water was not frozen yesterday and it was only a high of 21F. We do not plan to ground feed them, i just need to find the hay rack and the hanging grain trough.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your lamb is a cutie. You are doing your best, not easy to do when you have just moved, everything is in a jumble and you are both sick on top of that. Take it easy if you can, get well and feel better.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
He is a big boy and growing fast, his white fleece is already coming in. Him and 308 and 310 will likely be put back out in pasture today or tomorrow. It will be staying "warm"(read as above freezing) until next tuesday night, then temps should level out and stay in the upper teens to low 30s(daily low/high) so he should be able to regulate his body temp by the time it gets cold and be nibbling on hay. I would really prefer the bred sheep and those with lambs be in their own pasture so we can flush them but thats not gonna happen.

I have been kicking around the idea of retro fitting the 2 story for the goats and taking one of our electric nets and moving it over there for their own pasture but i dont think DH would like the idea since it puts them really close to the apple trees.