Misfitmorgan's - Babies 2020

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
My mother loves gala apples, i am not a fan of them. My favorite eatting apples are honeycrisp and my favorite baking apples are transparent or granny smith so i was pretty happy when i found the orchard already had all three of those and they were well established. My step-dads favorite apples are Macs so he is pleased about us having a mac tree.

Ironically the old farm had a honeycrisp, a mac, a granny smith, and a transparent.

As you may recall I co-miserate on the teeth problems. I still need to go get a partial for the lower back teeth they pulled and get those 4 top teeth pulled. Gotta pay the dentist first though. :hide While i love apples i find sometimes i am just not up to eatting them fresh.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not big on Macs, too tart for me, though I think the are the most common apple variety in Vermont. DW likes Cortlands for pie. She likes Granny's (tart) but also Fuji and Honeycrisp (sweet). Found a new one (to me anyway) at the Health food store a few weeks back - Envy. It is a sweet one.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm not big on Macs, too tart for me, though I think the are the most common apple variety in Vermont. DW likes Cortlands for pie. She likes Granny's (tart) but also Fuji and Honeycrisp (sweet). Found a new one (to me anyway) at the Health food store a few weeks back - Envy. It is a sweet one.

If i'm recalling right envy is a pretty new variety all together.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Forgot all about courts... never heard of "transparent" or envy... and don't really care for Granny Smith... not a big fan of tart.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love Granny Smith apples. I like to quarter and core them, then slice in 1/2" slices. Then I put them in a pot with a little apple juice, cinnamon and butter. Simmer until tender-DESSERT!

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Forgot all about courts... never heard of "transparent" or envy... and don't really care for Granny Smith... not a big fan of tart.

That's why granny smith are good for baking....you add sugar. Transparent is actually one of the old timey apples and is said to make the best apple pies....i would have to agree. It has a perfect balance of sweet, tart, and crisp, and retains a really nice texture when baked instead of going to mush or needing to be chewed.

Envy are a cross of Gala and Braeburn so probly not to your liking either LS.

I'm hoping to find that we have a gravenstein tree in the orchard but odds are not high. Gravenstein makes really good cider and apple sauce.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The next lambing date should be on or about 01/30....that is purely a guess based on the 17 day cycle. The cycle could have been 13 days or 19 days and the ewe could actually lamb between 01/18 - 02/14. Assuming the ewes are on the same 17 day cycle and they lamb on day 147, the lambing dates should be as follows.

01/30
02/14
03/02
03/20
04/05
04/21
05/08
05/24
06/09
06/25
07/12
07/28

Assuming all the ewes got bred...i'm really hoping those late dates are not a thing.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You could change the thread heading to lambing/kidding... justsayin' :)

Very true......though it is in the sheep section :hide

DH ended up working overtime and bringing a guest home so we did not actually get bags checks last night which i am sort of annoyed about atm. We will definitely check tonight, hopefully if anyone is going to lamb or kid they do it tomorrow when it is suppose to be 38F and not at night. Hopefully they skip having any lambs/kids next week since most day highs are in the teens.

294 and 254 both look bred and pretty far along, i will need to get my hands on them to see for sure.

This is our big ram this past spring when he was approx 1.5yrs old. Born born 2016
Sheared Ram.PNG

To give an idea of size, DH is 6'4" and the stands platform he is sitting on is around 14" tall.

This was our only suffolk lamb last year and was Sired by our big ram.
SUFFOLK LAMB.jpg

The same lamb at 8-10 weeks old.
2017-04-24 21.28.16.jpg

This is the polypay cross ram lamb, sired by our Big suffolk ram.
20170424_203321.jpg

For goats i know phoebe is bred, she normally gives twins, Cassiopia did give us a single last year so hopefully we get at least a single from her again this year. Hazel i sort of hope is not bred as she is pretty small but she is looking very large, Ivy i think is bred. If phoebe and Cassiopia hold true to patterns we should have kids from them the 3rd week of February - 2nd week of March.

Cassiopia kid 2017, buck of course
GOAT KIND 2.jpg

In the backround are phoebe's twin bucks from 2017.
Here is a better shot of one of the kids
GOAT KID.jpg

Phoebe's 2016 kids, twin bucks
Phobe boy 1.jpg
Phobe boy 2.jpg

I'm really really hoping for some doe kids this year, esp from Phoebe. She is an excellent mother, always makes enough milk to feed to two kids no problem. She has big healthy kids and usually twins. She has excellent hooves and good parasite resistance. If she gave us some doe kids they would be 37.5% Boer and 62.5% Nubian. Our next buck is planned to be a Boer to get some larger size on our dairy kids.

Last edited: