Missing alerts / notifications on followed threads

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings @Support and @Nifty

For the last little while I've been noticing that there have been posts to watched threads of mine, and I'm not getting alerts to this info. I have selected in the alerts area to receive them. I found out today on my journal that others (@Bruce and @Mini Horses ) are having this issue as well. I'm sure others probably are too.

If I go to the "Recent Post" section I can see that there are new posts and it shows that I'm watching the thread, but no notification. Many times when I go to the thread I find that there have been multiple posts over days with no notification.

Thanks

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting and for the great info!

It looks like those reporting problems are all on different email service providers, like netscape, AOL, and comcast.

I looked in our email logs and didn't see any "bounced" emails from any of these addresses. I've contacted our tech support to see if they can help us determine if emails are being sent, received, bounced, etc. from our side.

Sometimes emails are sent just fine, but are lost along the way, or more likely, put into an auto spam filter or other folder/tab (like in Gmail) or other sections of the email box. This being the case, please make sure emails didn't start being sent to the spam folder or anywhere else.

Any other members having this problem? Are other members receiving email ok, or no? Either way, please reply and let us know!

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Nifty I was (and believe the others were) referring to the "Alerts" button up top on the right, on the site. I rarely check the Emails as I come to the site and rely on that "Alerts" button on the top right to let me know who's posted and where. I use the Emails to go back and get stuff if it's missing/gone/etc.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of missed Alerts too. I am on Hughes Net satellite internet. Any e-mails I am sent come through just fine.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, sorry for the confusion on my part!

So, it's the Alert Notices to the top right of the screen that are not working properly for you? Basically these guys:

upload_2016-9-12_14-41-0.png

Is it that the alert notice (red number) isn't showing up, or that the alert isn't shown at all when you go to this page: http://www.backyardherds.com/account/alerts

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Both for me. The red number is not showing that I have been alerted to # of new posts, and when I actually open the alerts page there is no alert there for the thread that has been posted to. However, when I go to the "Recent Post" page I can see that a thread I'm watching is bold and has a blue dot indicating there are unread posts there.

When I then open that thread, there are often multiple new posts that I was not alerted to in your picture above, nor was I alerted to them on the open alerts page. Just on the recent posts page.

Latestarter

Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I hope this will work:
No alerts indicated by red number
upload_2016-9-12_16-3-17.png

No new alerts listed/showing using the Alerts List
upload_2016-9-12_16-4-18.png

Watched posts showing/indicating new content/posts under "Recent Posts" (post #1 and 4)
upload_2016-9-12_16-5-15.png

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @Baymule said about what @Latestarter said ;)

At least our newest moderator was able to help some while the problem is being researched. I didn't know about the "glasses" on the "new posts" thing and have been going into each forum I am following looking for new posts. Thanks Joe, big time saver. You definitely deserve your "banners".

BTW it has been happening for weeks, possibly "forever" for me since I'm pretty new in the herd.