Missing goat

Ron Bequeath

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Two years ago i had a beautiful chamois alpine buck. My property is a triangle runing for 1800 feet along my road. I would chain my buck at the northern most lot and play with him there until breeding season. That year I went out to see him one morning and someone had shot at him or at least his 4 foot stake and put a dent in it with a pumpkin ball. I immediately moved him back on my property behind some trees. After breeding season i moved him into my front yard getting him ready for the barn. The next day i put him in the barn, and he was acting funny, treated him with everything I knew of, he was dead in 3 days. Placed him in the corn field to draw in the 14 coyotes calling my stead their home. They wouldn't touch him all we could figure is he was poisoned. Have had my old chicken tractor, a cover to a truck, stollen, baby goats stollen and returned 4 or 5 days later only to die because of lack of food, tools picked up and taken, vegetables removed from garden, people drive right up on my hill to shot deer across the road, an illegal act. Even vaught some kids trying to steal a piglet for a barbecue. Have even chased cars parked at the end of our dead end road casing the traffic flow, but always take a picture and licence number. The whole road is now posted so there's no reason for cars to use it. But it still gets traveled by 3 or 4 cars a day. Finally the local law enforcement started coming down but that only lasted for a few weeks. I know the feeling of loss when one of your animals disappears just hoping she comes home unharmed.

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ron Bequeath do you have any big barky dogs? Many of us have LGDs and don't have those kind of problems. Our place is totally fenced, we have 2 Great Pyrenees and 1 black Lab/Great Dane. Even with a notorious thief in the neighborhood (gone now) we never missed a thing.

She found the doe, dead possibly from a snake bite.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about her death. Most animals when they are sick or dying will try to find a quiet hiding place. Part of their instinctive defense reaction since a sick animal is easy prey for predators. Had she been stolen you would have to worry about human predators coming in and taking other animals, etc. like Ron Bequeath posted above.

Ron Bequeath: Can you install hot wire on your fence long a public roadway? Also large LGDs, although any determined thief who would poison a goat would have no problem poisoning large dogs that were keeping them from stealing whatever they wanted. I am getting too old, when I hear stories like yours I long for the day that neighbors would mount up a posse, hunt down the thieves, and hang them from the nearest tree. Nowadays the court just sympathizes on their heartbreaking stories of abuse and childhood deprivation, then sends them forth to steal gain until they work their way up to even worse crimes.

Latest posts