Missy is pusing one kid away from udder??

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
UPDATE: Just gave her a bottle and she sucked down like 6 oz!! She was hungry!! I gave her some colostrum I had in the freezer from another doe. I'll start giving her MannaPro goat milk replacer next time. Should I mix it with the colostrum, or just go straight to the replacer?

So Missy's kids are a few days old now and doing really well! Playful, spunky. The only thing that has me a little concerned is everytime I see the doeling trying to nurse, Missy knocks her away? Is it maybe that the kid tries to nurse too often? I mean, like I said the kids appear healthy and to be eating well. Is it something I should be concerned about?

Last edited:

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
When Kendall's kids were a month or two old she stopped letting the doeling nurse unless she nursed with her brother. Midge, the doeling, stayed with Kendall more then Eddie did and seemed more attached to her, but for some reason Kendall preferred Eddie.
But your kids are younger, and I doubt your doe is playing favorites. :idunno @Southern by choice, @Goat Whisperer, @goats&moregoats, @babsbag

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep an eye on it. Our dam raised kids like to eat every two seconds, so the dam does sometimes kick them away.

If the doeling has a full belly, is content, and is growing well she is eating enough. If she is crying, chasing the dam, has an empty belly, etc. you need to start supplementing.

It wouldn't hurt to start offering a bottle every now and then. If she takes it she's definitely not getting enough from mom.

They can play "favorites" so that is something to watch for two. My friends one doe doesn't like her bucklings, but loves her doelings. The doe will still care for her kids, but doesn't love the boys as much.

Jenn27

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thank you. She does seem to be growing and doing ok. I'll keep an eye on her, though.