1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Mites (?) Breakout -- HELP

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Sawyer Glanton, Jul 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jul 9, 2017
    Sawyer Glanton

Sawyer Glanton Herd lurker

A few weeks ago, we got two new lamancha goats that I'm assuming we're infected with mites. They've got bumps on their ears and faces and have had some hair loss, especially down their backs. It is spreading rapidly to the other goats. We've used pour-on Ivermectin. The majority of our goats just suddenly had bumps on their ears and faces like the first two and some goats' eyes appear to be sealed shut. We would like to know what is causing all of this and how to stop it.

2. Jul 9, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

I would seek veterinary advice.
    This may be staff or another kind of more serious issue than mites. Mites do not cause eyes to seal shut.
    If you could put a picture up that would help.
    If the bumps are large clustered and whitish /yellow on face and ears it could be Psoroptes cuniculi and that can be highly contagious and cause secondary infection.

mysunwolf likes this.
  3. Jul 9, 2017
    Sawyer Glanton

I was just told that the eye problem is unrelated and we've got that under control. So scratch that part. Still unsure about the bumps in ears and face.

4. Jul 9, 2017
    Southern by choice

van you get a pic?

5. Jul 10, 2017
    Sawyer Glanton

Don't pay too much attention to the holes in their right ears. We just removed tags because they kept getting caught. Let me know if these pictures give you a better idea of what's going on.

Attached Files:

6. Jul 10, 2017
    Southern by choice

IMO a vet should be called.
    Yes, it can be a type of mite it looks like it is on their nose too which makes me think Psoroptes Cuniculi- but there could be a fungal or staph infection going on as well. :(

There are many different types of mites and mange some more serious than others.
    You may want to read through the section I have on external parasites from my website- scroll down to "mites"
    http://www.winginitfarms.com/parasites-external

This section is not updated but I can say permethrins is a good product to use and is on label for goats.

Mites do affect the overall health of the goat- if you read further down you will see more on that.

They are some really cute goats! :) where are the lamanchas? :idunno
    Also welcome to BYH! :frow

For future reference always quarantine any new goat for 30-60 days. Treating new goats for mites/lice and getting a fecal done to treat for parasites as well as testing for CAE, CL, Johnes while in quarantine can save a good deal of heartache and protect your existing herd.