Mites (?) Breakout -- HELP

Sawyer Glanton

Just born
Reaction score
A few weeks ago, we got two new lamancha goats that I'm assuming we're infected with mites. They've got bumps on their ears and faces and have had some hair loss, especially down their backs. It is spreading rapidly to the other goats. We've used pour-on Ivermectin. The majority of our goats just suddenly had bumps on their ears and faces like the first two and some goats' eyes appear to be sealed shut. We would like to know what is causing all of this and how to stop it.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would seek veterinary advice.
This may be staff or another kind of more serious issue than mites. Mites do not cause eyes to seal shut.
If you could put a picture up that would help.
If the bumps are large clustered and whitish /yellow on face and ears it could be Psoroptes cuniculi and that can be highly contagious and cause secondary infection.

Sawyer Glanton

Just born
Reaction score
I would seek veterinary advice.
This may be staff or another kind of more serious issue than mites. Mites do not cause eyes to seal shut.
If you could put a picture up that would help.
If the bumps are large clustered and whitish /yellow on face and ears it could be Psoroptes cuniculi and that can be highly contagious and cause secondary infection.
I was just told that the eye problem is unrelated and we've got that under control. So scratch that part. Still unsure about the bumps in ears and face.

Sawyer Glanton

Just born
Reaction score
van you get a pic?

Don't pay too much attention to the holes in their right ears. We just removed tags because they kept getting caught. Let me know if these pictures give you a better idea of what's going on.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    490.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2460.JPG
    IMG_2460.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 108

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
IMO a vet should be called.
Yes, it can be a type of mite it looks like it is on their nose too which makes me think Psoroptes Cuniculi- but there could be a fungal or staph infection going on as well. :(

There are many different types of mites and mange some more serious than others.
You may want to read through the section I have on external parasites from my website- scroll down to "mites"
http://www.winginitfarms.com/parasites-external

This section is not updated but I can say permethrins is a good product to use and is on label for goats.

Mites do affect the overall health of the goat- if you read further down you will see more on that.

They are some really cute goats! :) where are the lamanchas? :idunno
Also welcome to BYH! :frow

For future reference always quarantine any new goat for 30-60 days. Treating new goats for mites/lice and getting a fecal done to treat for parasites as well as testing for CAE, CL, Johnes while in quarantine can save a good deal of heartache and protect your existing herd.

Sawyer Glanton

Just born
Reaction score
The majority of our goats are looking much better! Their ears and faces have cleared up nicely and they're acting happier and healthier. The goat pictured here is actually looking much better than she has been. We had her separated from all the others because she had severe pink eye along with her other symptoms, but her eyes are finally clearing up, even though she may have some permanent eye damange. We're hoping that she continues to heal and will take any more advice that we can receive!

Attachments

• IMG_2938.JPG
    IMG_2938.JPG
    427.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2939.JPG
    IMG_2939.JPG
    394 KB · Views: 111

Latest posts