Mites & revolution help

Anna t

Just born
Reaction score
Hi I recently rehomed my two lionheads f(7weeks) and m(6weeks) and the day of picking them up the breeder told me they had mites from free roaming in his backyard. Right after I picked them up I took them to a vet which diagnosed them with walking dandruff and gave them their first dosage of revolution during the visit which consisted of one kitty/puppy revolution tube per bunny. He also gave me two more packets to take home and re administer in two weeks.

I did some online research and everyone has had different experiences and opinions. Is this too much of a dosage? And when should I bring them back to the vet ? How fast should I expect the mites to be gone? It looked like a mild case on the female it was only missing hair on her ear and the male had no hair missing at all.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that the vet would give this treatment so soon after the breeder dumped some type of powder all over the rabbits to treat the mites - to my mind, that's a lot of chemicals on something that is already as stressed as a too-young rabbit that has just moved to a new home is going to be. But, you said this was several days ago, and if these two are still eating and drinking and defecating and in every other way acting normal, they probably are fine.

The dose that was administered is considered appropriate for the size of the animal. The chemical kills adult mites, so any mite eggs that may be on the animal's fur can still be viable and if they hatch, the young mites can re-infest the animal, so a second treatment two weeks later hopefully will prevent that. In really severe cases, it may take more than two rounds of treatment to get rid of the little monsters.

Since this is apparently a mild case, and the rabbits are now in a new environment with (hopefully) no established mite population, two appropriately-spaced treatments should do the job.