Mixed Herd Fencing

Deep Roots

Just born
Reaction score
Bought a run down farm 4 years ago and slowly trying to get up to par. It's our retirement plan to be off grid and self providers. That said. We've spent the last four years ripping out, tearing down, and planning, lots and lots of planning. The time has come to fence in several of our planned pastures for mixed herds. Doing three fold pasture rotations. 1 week horse, 1 week goat, 1 week turkey, 1 to 2 weeks rest... I'm told we should put up horse fence, but our horse just uses electric tape and doesn't even try to escape. Thats super simple and we move his current setup all the time to the best grass. The goats have gotten out or broken everything we've put them in. They were not raised with electric and I caught them biting the electric wire in half... while it was on.
We want to start the big sections by setting corner posts and then keep adding fabric as we can afford it while expanding their pasture until they are the planned full size. This means moving TPosts every 4 weeks for the rest of the year, but I'm used to it now. The goats are currently in an 80' by 80' area of cattle panels but it's just grass and they want to get into the brush to graze.
The turkeys come and go over all our fences whenever they please, but they have started nesting this year and we want to deter predators. So... Originally we planned on 2"x4" woven wire 5' high horse fence and two runs of electric 12.5g wire and 1 single 2" tape at the top for the horse. I just did the rough math and thats over $1000 just for the fabric for the first acre.
Will 4' fence really stop predators? We have a great dane and he can climb and leap over any fence we've ever tried. We just keep him on a leash now.
Any ideas for a scalable approach? My wife was let go before this virus crap hit, so we aren't exactly rolling in dough. Just need something to get by till we can get back to investing in the long term. Thanks for any ideas.

Grant

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’d say as many predators will go under as will go over. I’d go with 4 foot woven wire with barbed wire on top then your electric if you want it. Then I’d get 1-2 good LGDs to guard against predators. A big bark deters a lot, but they have to back it up if needed.

Deep Roots

Just born
Reaction score
Thought about 7.5' deer fence and 3 12.5g high tensile hot wire for the goats. Any other ideas?

Latest posts