Molasses for NDG kid to give probiotics?

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I wanted to introduce some powder probiotics to my kids as they start to get small amounts of time browsing and getting some in the yard time.... I have one kid who is still getting 2 ounces twice a day of goat milk but the other is fully off milk. I was going to mix probiotics into Lenny's milk but I'm wondering if I can do molasses and probios for Carl?

Thoughts?

11 weeks old on Monday

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
2oz 2x day :lol: why?

As far as probios are you talking daily? Is there a reason?
Healthy goats do not need probios daily. They need them when their gut is getting off kilter.
As far as molasses... NO. Why do you want to give molasses?
Reserve that for times when needed and NEVER - NEVER give molasses with a fever.

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

Healthy goats do not need probios daily. They need them when their gut is getting off kilter.
Reserve that for times when needed and NEVER - NEVER give molasses with a fever.
Ahh thank you -- just trying to figure out what to put the Probios on to make Carl take it. I haven't given them any treats or anything.

I was thinking just for while they are being turned out into the yard for the first few times to try out new browse etc just to support their system while it gets new browse / grasses. More to help them along.

Probably being a helicopter mom about it I know.

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score

In regards to the milk... I was told by a "local" goat lady to get milk back in his diet and then start to cut it out when he was not doing well after the move. She found that goats still getting milk older were healthier? I don't know.. ahh I am trying to figure out what I'm doing with a million opinions and personalities sharing what's best process and to be honest adding the milk back to his diet made a huge difference to the issues we were having post move. He still loves his milk time so instead of more frequent more milk I've just been giving him a morning and evening until I run out of this. When I was giving more and sending pics of the poops I was told by several he was getting overfed...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Did they have their CD&T vaccines?

Whenever we have to give probios we mix the powder in some water and drench them.
Are they eating hay? Do they get and goat feed?

Miranda Kurucz

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Did they have their CD&T vaccines?

Whenever we have to give probios we mix the powder in some water and drench them.
Are they eating hay? Do they get and goat feed?
They did have their vaccines yup!

I was hoping to make it an enjoyable process but Carl is probably just gonna be forced if I have to do it. Lenny is the one who had more stress upset from move etc so is more who I was concerned with as Carl seems to be a bit more tolerant system wise in every way (so far).

They are eating hay and no feed.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
So far this year we have had 25 bottle babies to raise...
Lamanchas, Mini Lamanchas, Nubians, and Nigerians...
we still have more does due Aug/Sept

I can tell you this... when it comes to reducing bottles and taking them away the Nigies protest the most! :lol:
Nigerians LOVE to eat... they have two loves
1. food
2. food

Moving goats as you have experienced ( I vaguely remember now) can be stressful.

Normally though when you stat taking bottles away there will be protest.
We start Nigerians out bottle feeding every 4 hours for the first few days then go to 4x day and then 3x day
at 6 weeks we go to 2x day 7weeks 1x day 8 weeks done!
The exceptions are for those that may have been itty bitty- usually one of the quads or quints may have an itty bitty so we keep them on longer.
The other breeds stay on for 3 -4 months and we schedule differently.

Nigies generally do get weaned by 8 weeks so they can be separated from mom and sisters so they don't breed them.

If you want to do 2oz twice a day go ahead... no harm. Or you can skip the morning bottle and go to 1x a day evening...
Either way they do holler because they think it is TIME for their bottle. :D

How are the boys doing otherwise?
If you want to give "treats" give a few alfalfa pellets. Safe and good calcium.