Moooooooo.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like our heifer may be in heat. Haven’t checked her south side yet but she is very vocal. She’s just a year old but well fed. Fences are hog wire added to barbed wire with barbed on the exterior. She doesn’t share fence with my neighbor’s’ bulls but they can see, hear and smell each other. How soon will somebody’s bull steam roller a fence? And yep we shouldn’t have gotten a heifer for the freezer but that’s all there was.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Discharge downtown is an affirmative.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moo has her freezer camp appointment so all I have to do is deal with the next couple of days. @misfitmorgan your thumbnail dog could be a twin to my dog Bailey 😊 who is holding her own today- I posted a thread about her departure but she’s proving me wrong.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Moo has her freezer camp appointment so all I have to do is deal with the next couple of days. @misfitmorgan your thumbnail dog could be a twin to my dog Bailey 😊 who is holding her own today- I posted a thread about her departure but she’s proving me wrong.
Glad to hear it, I hope she tastes great!

That is Rosie and sadly she is resting in peace, happy to hear your LGD is doing better.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
Rest In Peace Rosie. Bailey has reached very old age 16 or 17. I suspected a uti and treated it and she’s hanging in there.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Heifer will be in heat for 12-24 hours... usually heifers are less than cows. So she should be out by now. Other than coming in heat, heifers make good beef too. If they do not share a fenceline, it is unlikely, but not impossible, that the neighbor bull will come over. Hearing her is one thing, but they like to be closer for a good whif......
Actually we have more trouble with heifers in heat GOING visiting the bull.....they are also more athletic so jumping a fence is not usually a deterrent.

Blue Sky

Herd Master
Reaction score
She’s out of heat whew. Neighbor bulls didn’t notice but they have their own cows. A few years ago two bulls squared off in the four corners area of the pasture. They were catty corner but that didn’t matter, they went at it and ended up on my place. Needed two cowboys to separate them. My sheep and dogs high tailed it for the barn. My neighbors repaired fences and left a message since we weren’t home. Two dogs got out but I got them back after a hot hike through cat’s claw vine that had been growing there since Moses was a boy. I didn’t want to repeat that since the cowboys have moved. 😝 Edit and cat’s claw. Have scars but old lady skin.

Last edited: