More Hawk Photos

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The Hawk is now coming to the birdbath several times a day.
It appears to like cooling off it's feet in the nice cool water.

There may be a pair of them.
93010Hawkstandinginbirdbathemail.jpg

I got one of it taking off

93010Hawktakingoffemail.jpg

I missed a great photo last week... I came out the back door, not really paying any attention, just in time to see it take off from not 10 inches away from the new chick enclosure!! If I had looked out before opening the door, I would have had a great photo of the Hawk studying the chicks!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Ooo, looks like a Cooper's hawk. Keep your chicks well guarded! I had a Cooper's hawk get through my netting and kill a nice pullet, one that was quite well-grown. Then the hawk couldn't figure out how to get out of my pen! And I found no rips in the netting or gaps. It must've dived right through just the right spot where two pieces of netting were attached together by zipties, not ripping it, but not being able to then see a way out. Pretty birds, though.

Rebbetzin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My chickens never get to free range. They are always kept in secure areas. I know if the hawk can it will find a way to get them!

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Great photos, such a handsome bird. Does look like he is cooling his feet! I am so jealous of him liking your birdbath! Just very cool it visits so much.

Getting cold here, almost ready to put my birdbath away. Never had a hawk that I know of visit. Birds now have more water in other locations, puddles, with fall rains coming often.

My friend has pigeons, so she has hawks stopping by to "view the meals" inside her cages too. Hers are Pouters, not the Homers, and white so very visible to the hawks. Hawk just sees them as food, not his fault!. Glad to hear your chicks are tightly enclosed and safe.

Hollywood Goats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It is a great picture, I saw one yesterday that had just caught a dove, I am just happy that all of my chickens are a lot bigger than the doves and that there are plenty of doves around, but I do like the doves.