more horse/biting flies than you can shake a stick at!!

floridaGirl13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Does anyone have any successful home remedies for deterring horse/biting flies for us two-leggers? Down here in Florida we have too many kinds to count, the typical golden brown-ish kind, florescent yellow-green ones, even some the size of golf balls that sound like little helicopters when the fly by. Out of all the people on property they seem to prefer me, for some reason. I've tried human bug spray, horse bug spray, even stuffing dryer sheets in my boots and pockets. THEY STILL WONT LEAVE ME ALONE! I swear, every time I open the door to my coop here comes one kind or the other. I'm sure by now my chickens think I'm a lunatic (maybe even the neighbors) because I open their door then close it and run away flailing my arms in the air cursing up a storm! Help!

Azriel

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Have you tried Avon Skin So Soft? If it doesn't work at least you'll have nice soft skin.;)

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Fly Predators will reduce biting stable flies and common flies that lay their eggs in compost / rotting stuff.
Horse Flies & Deer Flies are not as effected by fly predators as they lay their eggs in water. However you can use sticky fly tape or other traps to catch n despise of them. Horse & Deer flies are the meaniest biting flies to have to fend off.

So far I use Cutters Off spray with feet and am not bothered as much by them. However, my sweetest goat Fiona gets nailed more than the others by the horse flies.

Bugs in general are booming in our area due to the wetter summer we been having this year. The humidity is aweful this year as well.

Fluffygal

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ooooo I am glad we don't have those in Texas.

treeclimber233

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have them in VA. We first saw them about 3 years ago. We took a picture of it (under a glass) standing over a dime. The dime fit easily under the thing. It was absolutely huge. Where did they come from originally?

JoePa

Just born
Reaction score
Do what the Indians did - after all they lived in the outdoors all the time -

Briard'nSheep

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
dragon flies is the only thing that seems to work on them and mosquitoes here.

someone told me bounce drier sheets work against mosquitoes so am currently testing that theory. First rub it over exposed skin then put the sheet somewhere on your body (pocket, etc)
Last night the mosquitoes got so bad, but I only had 3 trying to get a snack. The boys laugh at me for the drier sheet, but they were waving their hands in front of their faces the whole time while I just stood there.

i only had 1 horse fly bite me behind the ear this morning while working on our fence, but the horse flies aren't nearly as bad as the mosquitoes (thank god!)

floridaGirl13

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I didn't know dryer sheets worked for mosquitoes. I've been using them to keep ticks at bay.