More space = better????

teach1rusl

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi. I've read that you can keep 5-7 alpacas on an acre of land, but I assume that's minimum recommended space. Is there any downside to offering a lot of space (besides higher cost in fencing the area)??? Is there an upside to limiting their grazing space??

We're planning on having 2 - 3 pet alpacas (most likely three - any males will be geldings). We have no plans to breed...this will be a hobby for us, not a job. One pasture available is about 1.2 acres, but there are only two (not huge) trees along that fenceline for shade (we get hot, humid summers here). Their shelter will have an added lean-to type cover for more shade.

Or we can extend the pasture down to the edge of the woods, giving about 2 acres fenced, and adding a decent amount of shade down in that area beginning around 2 PM in the summer time.

In theory, the larger the space, the easier poop management would be. Will alpacas take advantage of the entire space given them, or do they tend to only stay in certain areas??? I kind of wanted the extra space because I have in my head that more space is better, but maybe with certain animals that's not the case???

What would you alpaca people suggest????

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would give them whatever space you want to give them. You could always do rotational grazing and use temporary fencing to block areas off or move the alpacas around. It is really critical for them to have a way to keep cool in the summer. Heat stress is a problem in alpacas and llamas. Depending on what is in the pasture will determine if they eat in one area or use the whole thing. I'm sure they would enjoy the treed area.