Mo's hole in the wall

bfotk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We often close off the front gate to our Tucson property and let the horses (three of them) play in the yard, so to speak. There's an acre for them, minus structures. One structure includes the feed room which has its own gate.

Yesterday young Mo (the Welsh Cobb-Morgan cross) apparently felt hungry, not that there's a scarcity of stuff to munch on in the yard, and butted his head through an exterior wall of the feed room. At least that's what we assume. He's a newbie and neither of the the other horses attacked the wall over the course of various years of opportunities. How he found the space between studs is anyone's guess.

My wife spotted him with his head through the hole. Sure, it's circumstantial, but he's showed creativity before.

Here are a couple of pics. First the hole.

1598465360897.jpeg

Now the head that was responsible.

1598465470812.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't you love a smart horse? Mine got into the feed room, opened and scattered a brand new box of 4" deck screws, tore open feed bags, scattered feed, hay and tools all over the place, pooped in there even. They had quite the party. I went out to feed and found their mess. Nobody had colic, looked sick or was dead, but they didn't get any supper that night!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's amazing. I've had them jump, open, go thru or under but so far, no remodeling from them. He sure doesn't look underfed BUT, that hay looks really good, you have no pastures in that area of the country and hey, he couldn't help himself -- the smell was just too much! 😁

Would have been interest to have seen that in action. 🤔

Welcome to the group!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've seen goats knock their heads against walls or fence posts, apparently just for the fun of it, but never a horse. I'm thinking it more likely that the hole started with a misdirected kick or an attempt to scratch an itch, which then just had to be investigated further!

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen once, horse had a hole in the side of the barn where he was eating. We just dropped a sheet of plywood over the inside of the wall between the wall and the hay to keep him out of his buffet. And that was a plywood wall that they made a hole in too....

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looking at the picture, you can see a "weak" spot as there is a short cut vertical board between studs. That not only created a smell point but, an easy hit!

WeegMisty

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Don't you love a smart horse? Mine got into the feed room, opened and scattered a brand new box of 4" deck screws, tore open feed bags, scattered feed, hay and tools all over the place, pooped in there even. They had quite the party. I went out to feed and found their mess. Nobody had colic, looked sick or was dead, but they didn't get any supper that night!
That has happened to use way to many times! Our Fyord will open gates fi they aren't lacked nice an tight, and be will but right through a door that isn't shut all the way. Ounce he ate half a barrel of grain, lead the other 4 horses in after him, and almost broke a sale they nocked over while they were therein over the VERY large stack of hay bales in the feed room! No breakfast, no supper! 🤣

Latest posts