mosquitoes in auto waterer

Rocco

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I use distilled white vinegar in my watering tanks at a concentration of 1/2 gallon of distilled vinegar to 100 gallons of water. This takes care of the mosquito larvae and algae and also the goats actually love the water and consume a little more water.

hmm, very interesting. I am going to try that next summer. Pickle breath goats!

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
If one has metal water containers and metal water supply such as floats, faucets ... vinegar is an acid and it reacts with the metals and corrodes / pits them and eventually will eat through and destroy them. :idunno

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
To corrode you need higher concentration then that.
More like 50/50.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
To corrode you need higher concentration then that.
More like 50/50.
One gallon of vinegar which is only 5% acetic acid diluted by 100 gallons of water is a 1 to 100 mixture. This is so dilute that it wouldn't do any more corrosion than plain water. : )

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
One gallon of vinegar which is only 5% acetic acid diluted by 100 gallons of water is a 1 to 100 mixture. This is so dilute that it wouldn't do any more corrosion than plain water. : )
Last time that I checked ... Water is a universal solvent ! Given time, it will dissolve, corrode, and erode anything.

Andrei

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Last time that I checked ... Water is a universal solvent ! Given time, it will dissolve, corrode, and erode anything.
Let me be the ........
Water does not even conduct electricity.
Oxidation process is a static electrolitic proces and pure, distilled water is an isulator and it will not corrode anything as long as it is pure.
But in nature there is no pure water and it has salts and minerals and acids form and water will help oxidize all except one metal.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You are right also. Pure water is a great insulator. In the real world, regular water that we drink every day is full of minerals and salts and thus will corrode metal easily. Here in E. Tennessee, our water is full of calcium carbonate (limestone deposits).

Latest posts