Mountain lion in the area

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have cougar, black bear, coyotes and Fox around here. The cougar and bear are only sightings and not from me. The ones people see have been animals in distress. Low weights or young. They have taken a few pets and smaller livestock though.
My LGD is a great yard protector and my husband calls him the barking Volkswagen 😂..He doesn't chase off anything though. Once the coyotes start howling he hides on the porch. I have an Aussie/Golden Retriver and she chases off the coyotes and fox.

River Buffaloes

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Currently in New Delhi, India, originally Bihar
What breed is your LGD? We only have Gaddi and bakkharwal (Kashmir sheep dog) who can't live in the plains. Marwari sheep dog is more common on the plains and are mostly kept by the the tribals. Alabai (Central Asian shepherd) were imported from Soviet Union back in the sixties and seventies, even though they came from Russia, they settled in just fine. All these breeds are very healthy and formidable dogs. I can't say how they perform, because I have no experience working with them.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
What breed is your LGD? We only have Gaddi and bakkharwal (Kashmir sheep dog) who can't live in the plains. Marwari sheep dog is more common on the plains and are mostly kept by the the tribals. Alabai (Central Asian shepherd) were imported from Soviet Union back in the sixties and seventies, even though they came from Russia, they settled in just fine. All these breeds are very healthy and formidable dogs. I can't say how they perform, because I have no experience working with them.
Mine? He is a Maremma..😊

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
for the love of sanity it must be short haired
FWIW, the vet told me that if Harry had not had his long thick winter coat, he would've been dead. That fur mostly stopped the claws, only 1 of the 3 actually cut into him, the other 2 just left scratches. The one that did cut nicked a capillary and caused a slow bleed that abscessed. Short fur would've meant deeper cuts and sliced arteries, not barely nicked.

So sorry about Gracie. But, Harry sure sounds up to the task!
Thank you. She was a sweet heart, and Harry & I miss her a great deal.

Maybe a partner would be good for him to train and be back up.
Yes, I plan on getting another LGD out there with him as soon as I can. I'm looking for something other than a Great Pyrenees this time. I only have 15 acres and now that he has grown up, Harry does not stay on the property anymore and not all of my neighbors are dog people. I've had to leash him on a permanent basis. He has a 30 yard run and a 20 foot lead off of that. He's not chained to a stake, but I still don't like it. I just can't figure out any other way to keep him on the property. He still manages to break the wire ropes every few months, or undo the clasp to his collar and get away often enough and visit THOSE neighbors, but he's not visiting them daily so they don't complain too much anymore.

Anyway, back to my problem. I think I'm looking for a Healer or Anatolian pup to let run free with the sheep. A male so that he marks his territory. That should help keep out predators too, shouldn't it? I want the pup to eventually train Harry.... to stay on the property! I have a bad feeling it will go the other way around.

Does anyone have other suggestions for LGD breeds? Like I said, 15 acres - 5 wooded, 10 pasture. Predators are mostly coyotes, with an occasional cat, and a rare bear in the neighborhood (one was seen a couple miles away last year. It never bothered me but was close enough to mention). My main requirement is that fence hopping over or digging under is not a built-in trait for the breed.

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
FWIW, the vet told me that if Harry had not had his long thick winter coat, he would've been dead. That fur mostly stopped the claws, only 1 of the 3 actually cut into him, the other 2 just left scratches. The one that did cut nicked a capillary and caused a slow bleed that abscessed. Short fur would've meant deeper cuts and sliced arteries, not barely nicked.

Okay? I wasn't talking to you nor telling you to have short haired dogs.
And if you're trying to tell me long hair is better with that story, I still don't care.
Long haird dogs are always hot, always hiding from the heat, need absurd amounts of brushing, getting tangled & matted with thorns and/or burs. It's a hassle I'm tired of dealing with.

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Okay? I wasn't talking to you nor telling you to have short haired dogs.
And if you're trying to tell me long hair is better with that story, I still don't care.
My apologies for any misunderstanding caused my post.

I am guessing that you are unaware that, "FWIW" means, "For what it's worth". With that in mind, you can plainly see that I was not telling you what to do. Yes, I know you were not telling me what to do either. I was simply relating my experiences in the hope that it might help you, or someone else reading these forums. Isn't that the very purpose of BYH?

As for not talking to me, please tell me who were you talking to when you started this open thread on this public forum? I thought you were talking to everyone on here.

I was really just trying to add something to the conversation that you or others might find interesting or helpful. I am really sorry that you didn't take it that way.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Anatolians are excellent jumpers. Put up a hot wire that packs a double whammy, top and bottom strand. Harry will get bit and will respect the fence. There is no magic breed that is perfect, you know that. Then whatever breed you get will also respect the fence and won’t even start to be a problem.

MoreAU

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you Baymule. I tried it on a smaller scale than all 15 acres, in an attempt to keep my bull from visiting the neighbor's girls. The bull seemed to think the standoffs were things to use to scratch his forehead and broke every single one of them off the t-posts! But that's a problem for another thread.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank you Baymule. I tried it on a smaller scale than all 15 acres, in an attempt to keep my bull from visiting the neighbor's girls. The bull seemed to think the standoffs were things to use to scratch his forehead and broke every single one of them off the t-posts! But that's a problem for another thread.
I use LockJawz, they don't stick out and will fit a T-post on any side.