Mouse control

SilverFox79

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Any thoughts on rodent control with open bottome cages? We have lots of mice runing through our yard to get the food that falls through the wire. They don't go into the cages and bother the rabbits but I would rather not have them around and we live in a suburb so outdoor cats are frowned upon. We do have a dog but she is a 12 year old English Springer Spaniel and could not be less interested in the mice.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
My neighbor set up a trap using a 5 gallon bucket with peanut butter for bait. I don't have a link but there are a ton of youtube videos searching for mouse trap bucket.

There are so many other critters running around that nobody wants to resort to poison. We saw my Aussie find the "trap" a couple of days and she started licking it all off. :)

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I have been wondering the same thing. I have recently found a lovely mouse population taking harbor in my barn walls. I will have to try to bucket trick! The rabbits sometimes let themselves out of their cages and the dogs are in there often so I can not use traps or poison...

Rivmage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Peppermint plants. If possible plant a couple, it will make the area smell good and keep mice/rats away because the smell is too intense for their sensitive nose.

Scott

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Peppermint plants. If possible plant a couple, it will make the area smell good and keep mice/rats away because the smell is too intense for their sensitive nose.

Scott
I love that idea!! I have a spearmint plant, my sheep don't eat it. I bet they wouldn't eat a peppermint plant either! Mice get in my feed shed, but the only feed they hit is the non GMO layer pellets. Even the mice don't want GMO crap.

Latest posts