Moving checklist.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
didn't see need.
Hope there’s not a personal story in that one! Lol.

🤣🤣🤣Unfortunately a learning experience!

Always stopped with livestock. On way home empty, didn't think to. Sirens, blinking lights and a big apology from me. 😳. Yeah, a short lecture...then the sole bale of hay was okayed to travel on.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

Always stopped with livestock. On way home empty, didn't think to. Sirens, blinking lights and a big apology from me. 😳. Yeah, a short lecture...then the sole bale of hay was okayed to travel on.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score

At least the hay bale didn’t step on anyone or bite them, that could have gone really bad.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have transported livestock over several state lines and never been stopped. But again, let's hope there's not a first time anytime soon. Regulations are getting stricter with the newer diseases and the more contagious things. There is now a problem with "Theileria" in beef cattle.. in Va from the Asian Longhorn tick.... transported in from who knows where.... and Johne's is contagious and there are carriers that never show it....look at all the things that horses can carry... VEE EEE and all that they need to be tested for to transport.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
No transport slips needed for sheep and goats, except that the auction barns are requiring you to fill one out on site. I bought a pad to be able to fill in at home where I can check ear tags when loading. Much easier. Used to keep the pad in my truck glove box in case. You have to have one for cattle or you can be stopped and the brand inspector will be called out before you can continue travel.

My 4-H friend, Bernardine, owned a dairy (used to sell us bull calves) told me that her sons (who were taking over the dairy) did a lot of the cattle and calf transport. They had a big livestock hauler and hauled their heifers to their dairy pastures in northern California to grow out. One day one of the boys got stopped with a load of their own Marquez heifers. When the Sheriff asked for his paperwork he realized he had walked out and left the transport slips on the kitchen table! This was before cell phones with cameras etc. His brother had to get in the truck and drive 2 hours north with the paperwork while the brand inspector waited with the other brother and the cattle at the side of the road! Apparently there had been a rash of dairy cattle thefts - this was about 20 years ago. At the time we were raising bull calves and transporting them home from the diary and off to the auction every couple months so after hearing that story, I always kept extra transport slips in my truck! LOL

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
No transport slips needed for sheep and goats, except that the auction barns are requiring you to fill one out on site. I bought a pad to be able to fill in at home where I can check ear tags when loading. Much easier. Used to keep the pad in my truck glove box in case. You have to have one for cattle or you can be stopped and the brand inspector will be called out before you can continue travel.

My 4-H friend, Bernardine, owned a dairy (used to sell us bull calves) told me that her sons (who were taking over the dairy) did a lot of the cattle and calf transport. They had a big livestock hauler and hauled their heifers to their dairy pastures in northern California to grow out. One day one of the boys got stopped with a load of their own Marquez heifers. When the Sheriff asked for his paperwork he realized he had walked out and left the transport slips on the kitchen table! This was before cell phones with cameras etc. His brother had to get in the truck and drive 2 hours north with the paperwork while the brand inspector waited with the other brother and the cattle at the side of the road! Apparently there had been a rash of dairy cattle thefts - this was about 20 years ago. At the time we were raising bull calves and transporting them home from the diary and off to the auction every couple months so after hearing that story, I always kept extra transport slips in my truck! LOL
Oh wow! That’s really good to keep in mind.

Latest posts